New guy on the block..

May 9, 2017
Orange Park, FL
Hello!

new to the forum and the pool ownership world. So far...MISERABLE! After spending my life savings at the pool store it seems, I came across this forum, read some articles and this approach makes much more sense to me. I just finished pool school, albeit pretty quickly, so I'll read through again. My TF-100 is on the way, but I tested with my cheapo over the counter test kit and this is what I have as of now: total chlorine is zero. (Kind of surprised by this it's been perfect till now). PH:8.2 TA:450 CH:650 CYA:6.5. I have been battling this pool since we moved in a month ago. From clear to cloudy to greenish to yellowish green. Pool store said chemicals were perfect. Kept doing what I was doing, keeps getting worse. I'm hoping I'm having a pollen issue and not a mustard algae problem. I have a Polaris P825 that cleans up nicely, but small particulate just gets blown back out of the filter and clouds up the pool. Then it resettles. I feel like I'm close with this thing, but I can't seem to get it under control so that I can enjoy myself. Any help is appreciated, and I look forward to learning from you all!

is a CYA of 6.5 even a thing? I would suggest looking at some videos that explain how to test correctly and then retesting that and making sure you know what your CYA is for sure. that is really the jumpoff point for most everything that tfp teachs...you are in good hands with these folks, they will lead you to the promised land...well, to a sparkly pool anyways! :)

There shouldn't be anything large enough to see with the eye blowing out the returns. Your filter ain't filtering like it should be.

There's a good chance your filter is channeled. Basically your fine sand has formed clods with huge cracks between then that allows stuff to flow through and out. Busting up the clods (and checking the sand level inside) is a messy job, but will probably pay dividends. See Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Once you get a real test kit in your mitts, it should be easy to tame the chemistry.

There shouldn't be anything large enough to see with the eye blowing out the returns. Your filter ain't filtering like it should be.

There's a good chance your filter is channeled. Basically your fine sand has formed clods with huge cracks between then that allows stuff to flow through and out. Busting up the clods (and checking the sand level inside) is a messy job, but will probably pay dividends. See Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Once you get a real test kit in your mitts, it should be easy to tame the chemistry.

thanks I'll give that a try next!