Air in line!

Dec 27, 2010
El Dorado Hills, CA
I've be trying to figure out where I'm getting air into my line. I ended up sticking a drain king into the inlet of the pump and saw a tiny drip at the first glued junction (in picture it's where the gray pipe hits the black). It's slow and while it's a pain to see air coming out of my pool bottom returns, hasn't really caused an issue.

My question is can I simply apply caulking to the joint to stop the leak or do I need to replace the pipe? I hope it's not the pipe given the location.

Thanks - Ed

23k7xoj.jpg

Is that on the suction side or return? If it is the suction side you can put little pvc glue where it is leaking with a syringe and the suction will pull it into the hole. Use the blue glue, it cures in the presence of water. Don't use too much, you can do it again if needed.

Well that was a short lived fix. I have air in the returns.

Here's what's interesting. If I turn the valve to choose only one skimmer it's clear. If I choose the other skimmer it's clear. I didn't have time to let it run more than 15min per side but as soon as I turned it to both skimmers on I had air. Seems like that tells me the underground pipes are likely ok.

Could this mean the valve I'm turning is somehow the problem? How can I check the hand valve?

It could also mean the caulking fix didn't fix anything but I'm not sure how that explains what appears to be that I only get air if both returns are open.

Ed

I have a three way jandy right before the pump that seperates the pool from the spa. On the pool side of that valve I have another jandy (manual) that seperates the two skimmer inputs. The one I believe is giving me trouble is the on that seperates the skinners. Of course the tucked it right up against the electric panel to the point that I can't pull it apart... I'd have to cut it out.

I'm thinking because I need to ultimately fix my caulk leak just pulling it all apart and replacing it. I'm going to play a little more to try and isolate the issue.

Stay tuned and THANKS!!!

Ed

Just looked at the video. I think I'll have enough room to remove the handle and pull the cover. I don't think I can get the diverter out. So as long as I can seperate the cap from the diverter and get to the O-rings it may work.

I'll give it a shot on Friday.

Ed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I still have air in the line so it looks like my caulking job didn't work. Looks like I need to replace the pipe from the three way valve to the filter.

Looking closely at the current pipe I can't figure out the best way to do this. Does the pipe going into the threeway screw out? It looks like it might. If so, looks like I'd need to screw both ends in then glue the centers together. Does that seem right? I guess I could call the pool guy.

Ed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.