Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in line!

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in line!

I've be trying to figure out where I'm getting air into my line. I ended up sticking a drain king into the inlet of the pump and saw a tiny drip at the first glued junction (in picture it's where the gray pipe hits the black). It's slow and while it's a pain to see air coming out of my pool bottom returns, hasn't really caused an issue.

My question is can I simply apply caulking to the joint to stop the leak or do I need to replace the pipe? I hope it's not the pipe given the location.

Thanks - Ed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in line!

I used this stuff last year around some of my PVC joints. I used the clear spray. It stopped the air bubbles that were in my filter basket.

Flex Seal | The Easy Way to Coat, Seal, and Stop Leaks Fast!
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Is that on the suction side or return? If it is the suction side you can put little pvc glue where it is leaking with a syringe and the suction will pull it into the hole. Use the blue glue, it cures in the presence of water. Don't use too much, you can do it again if needed.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. It's the suction side. I put a small bead of clear silicon caulking and will try tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I'll try the blue glue!

5. Back To Top    #5

The caulking fixed it. No more bubbles!! Now to my next problem... I think my spa has a leak.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well that was a short lived fix. I have air in the returns.

Here's what's interesting. If I turn the valve to choose only one skimmer it's clear. If I choose the other skimmer it's clear. I didn't have time to let it run more than 15min per side but as soon as I turned it to both skimmers on I had air. Seems like that tells me the underground pipes are likely ok.

Could this mean the valve I'm turning is somehow the problem? How can I check the hand valve?

It could also mean the caulking fix didn't fix anything but I'm not sure how that explains what appears to be that I only get air if both returns are open.

Ed

7. Back To Top    #7

So you have a 3-way diverter valve before pump? What kind? They sometimes have O rings that are replaceable (Replacing the Jandy Valve O-rings; Pool Pump Not Priming Part 8 - YouTube)
    20x40 28kgal in-ground vinyl built 2011, liner replaced 2017
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D sand filter, Pentair SuperFlow 1HP pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Dolphin Active 30i
    City water, TF-100 test kit + speedstir.
    Recommended Levels | Chlorine/CYA Chart | SLAM

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a three way jandy right before the pump that seperates the pool from the spa. On the pool side of that valve I have another jandy (manual) that seperates the two skimmer inputs. The one I believe is giving me trouble is the on that seperates the skinners. Of course the tucked it right up against the electric panel to the point that I can't pull it apart... I'd have to cut it out.

I'm thinking because I need to ultimately fix my caulk leak just pulling it all apart and replacing it. I'm going to play a little more to try and isolate the issue.

Stay tuned and THANKS!!!

Ed

9. Back To Top    #9

Just looked at the video. I think I'll have enough room to remove the handle and pull the cover. I don't think I can get the diverter out. So as long as I can seperate the cap from the diverter and get to the O-rings it may work.

I'll give it a shot on Friday.

Ed

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep, hopefully it's just the o ring and not a bad valve altogether. Plumbing in tight spaces is something I'm willing to just pay someone for...

20x40 28kgal in-ground vinyl built 2011, liner replaced 2017
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D sand filter, Pentair SuperFlow 1HP pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Dolphin Active 30i
    City water, TF-100 test kit + speedstir.
    Recommended Levels | Chlorine/CYA Chart | SLAM

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by drharris View Post
    Yep, hopefully it's just the o ring and not a bad valve altogether. Plumbing in tight spaces is something I'm willing to just pay someone for...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear you! I may take the route!

12. Back To Top    #12

Well I still have air in the line so it looks like my caulking job didn't work. Looks like I need to replace the pipe from the three way valve to the filter.

Looking closely at the current pipe I can't figure out the best way to do this. Does the pipe going into the threeway screw out? It looks like it might. If so, looks like I'd need to screw both ends in then glue the centers together. Does that seem right? I guess I could call the pool guy.

Ed