Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water crystal clear, but vision blurry when swimming

1. Back To Top    #1

Water crystal clear, but vision blurry when swimming

Hi,

Our pool water is finally looking great and testing right. Had salt installed. Dumped in a ton of calcium. Took a lot of work, and thought we were finally ready. Perfectly clear when looking at it from the decking. But when you're in the water, your vision is blurry. It's hard to see the contours of your hand that is right in front of your face. Any thoughts on why? Is it the salt?

FC: 4
    ph: 7.5
    TA: 60
    CH: 375
    CYA: 80
    Salt: 3200
    Temp: 85
    25k IG PebbleTec pool, waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo, 1.5 HP Pentair Pinnacle, Aqualink RS6 (All Button), Solar Heat, Solar Panels, Hayward Aqua Rite

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water crystal clear, but vision blurry when swimming

I do not have salt but had the same issue last year. Never could get a clear answer on it.

18x36 inground / 28k gal / Vinyl liner (replaced in 2018) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump / Stenner pump (85MHP17) w/55 gallon storage tank / Pentair heat pump HP1200 (To be installed) / TF100 Test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Are you saying that when you are under water with a mask on, things are blurry?

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine is clear with a mask. Blurry without.

18x36 inground / 28k gal / Vinyl liner (replaced in 2018) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump / Stenner pump (85MHP17) w/55 gallon storage tank / Pentair heat pump HP1200 (To be installed) / TF100 Test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

No mask. Just open eyes. For example, as I swim underwater toward the wall, I cannot see the wall until I am right on it.
    25k IG PebbleTec pool, waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo, 1.5 HP Pentair Pinnacle, Aqualink RS6 (All Button), Solar Heat, Solar Panels, Hayward Aqua Rite

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Things are blurry without the mask because the water re-focuses our vision. That is why we wear masks.

Underwater vision - Wikipedia

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have never noticed it before. Only after I went liquid chlorine. Maybe the water was always cloudy so it wasn't as noticeable?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by E795 View Post
    No mask. Just open eyes. For example, as I swim underwater toward the wall, I cannot see the wall until I am right on it.
    That is normal for any body of water, pool, lake, etc.

Dom - TFP Guide

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I agree. Always blurry with no mask in clear water. Certainly so for me.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

This has never been an issue for me. I don't wear my glasses when I'm swimming, so it has always been blurry.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Like the rest of us who don't have an extra lens over our eyes like fish have, you seem to be perfectly normal.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!