new to site - hayward pump to dyna pro pump

May 9, 2017
haverhill, ma
We bought our home with an IG plaster pool 6 years ago. We are re plastering this spring wet edge luna quartz. Previous owners used bromine and we are switching to chlorine and maybe salt next year.

Our pool motor died end of last year. My pool guy is suggesting going from the hayward super pump (we replaced 6 years ago) to dyna pro pump 1.5 hp UR 115/230V. Since the previous owners also had the hayward super pump I'm not sure if we should switch? Any pros and cons would be helpful. Price is basically the same.

Also since we are switching from bromine to chlorine, the pool guy is telling me that we can use the current hayward brominator but it will basically 'die' (gaskets will leak etc.) after a few weeks and is suggesting i replace with $150 chlorinator. Seems excessive to me.

Appreciate any feedback!
pool is 22 years old; re plastering to start next week

You might consider going to a variable speed pump. They cost more than single speed pumps, but they save a ton on electrical charges. As far as the brominator, if it was me, I would just cut it out of the system and couple the pipes together without putting in any chlorinator. Why spend money on a chlorinator that will continually raise your CYA levels and force you to do a partial drain in the future? Stick with bleach or liquid chlorine as your sanitizer. You can always put in a salt water generator (SWG) in the future if you like.

So don't use the brominator for chlorine tablets and just add liquid chlorine to the pool as needed? That almost sounds too easy. For a 20,000 gallon pool, approximately how much liquid chlorine would I need to add daily/weekly? I know there are alot of variables but how much to get the level where it needs to be and then to keep it there? I picturing buying cases of liquid chlorine! My pool is only open from mid May to early September so i think the savings for variable speed may be nominal? Thanks for the response.

At least consider a 2 speed pump. Makes a big difference and the cost is more palletable. I am a SWG fan myself with a two speed pump. Run on low for 10 hours a day to produce chlorine and high 1.5 hours split between morning and evening for good skimming action.

Chlorine consupmtion for a TFP is normally 2-3ppm per day. You can go play with poolmath and put in the gallons of your pool and then put 0FC in the now column and 3FC in the target column to get a rough estimate.

We are thinking about switching to SWG after new plaster is cured but I'm thinking by the time the contractor actually completes the project we may only get a good month of use! So may change over next spring which is why i didnt want to buy a chlorinator. I will check out the comments on the other forums re: pros & cons chlorine and SWG. I was 100% sold on SWG then started reading all the 'stuff' online and now trying to decipher fact from fiction.

Thanks for the tip on the poolmath!

Just be aware, most of the stuff you read online is from people that have no clue. I will never go back to a pool that does not have a SWG, and neither will most people on this forum that have one. When you KNOW how to properly maintain it, it is easy easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.