Fiberglass Filter Media To Replace Sand

Eilum

Jun 19, 2016
Jackson NJ
Some people have, some have not.

I had glass in the sand filter of my last home and it worked very well.

My opinion is that it is equal to sand. For true finer filtering DE filters
are where its at, but with more complicated cleaning procedures
than a sand filter.

Eilum, my current pool/house is a different place.

There is regular sand in the S244T I have now. The other pool/house was a starite sand filter
with glass media. I can tell you that when I slammed for a mustard algae outbreak there,
in the final days of the slam, the water was cloudy/milky white from all the scrubbing i did.

I ran that filter with glass media 24/7 and within 3 days the water was completely sparkling clear again.
That pool was also bigger though 19,000 gallons.

I have always kept my pools open year round and make sure chlorine levels are adequate
by the time the water reaches 60 degrees, so I've never had a green swamp to deal with.

Zeo isn't well liked here, but Ive had superb luck with it for the last 4 years or so.

I get DE clarity without the backwash hassle.

All of my De filters experienced accelerated pressure building after year 5 as the grids became harder and harder to clean.

Happy filtering!

UD

A sand filter will take out stuff too small to see with the naked eye, no problem. If your water won't clear up, it's probably not the filter's fault. It's more likely a chemistry issue.

Use the search box up above for glass filter and you'll get a whole lot of hits. I come up with 6080....

So if the cloudy water is cleared in 3 days, then I have got a problem. I am on Day 10 running the filter 24/7 with FC up above 24 and the pool is still cloudy.
I think we mentioned this in your other thread, but for this topic ... something we are always very careful to remind pool owners about is that every pool reacts differently to a SLAM based on:
- Amount of algae and debris in the pool (hidden or otherwise unknown)
- Consistency of the owner to maintain the proper FC
- Testing accuracy of the owner to have a good CYA to start with
- Amount of physical attention given to the pool (sweeping, brushing, vacuuming, etc)
- Filter maintenance (rinsing, backwashing, etc)
- Potential filter damage (i.e. lateral damage, torn grids(s), etc)

So while one SLAM may take 4-5 days, others may take 2 weeks or more. There's no one simple formula. One thing that is very common though, especially in long SLAMs, it's easy to overlook the easy stuff. BY that I mean validating test results, inspecting all areas of the pool, even places that seem insignificant. I found algae under my poolside skimmer lid on occasion. Once a green pool transitions to a cloudy white or semi-blue/transparent pool, it's all about the fine details. SLAMs work, but it does take time and focus on those easily overlooked areas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you were looking in to glass to clear it faster....probably best to just stick with the sand you have.

That isn't likely to be the reason the water isn't clearing up.

The 3 days to clear i mentioned, that was at the point the SLAM was
almost finished....the last part being clear water.

I had no overnight FC loss & CC was 0 by that point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.