New to TFP and converting from Baquacil

Still working on this conversion. On day nine not sure if it will ever happen. We have had it all during this process 50+ mile per hour winds blowing dust so thick you could not see. Walnut tree debris blown into the pool and now it is back to cool weather. FC does not seem to hold overnight. I hope there is an end to this. Really trying to be optimistic but getting tired of baby sitting this pool.

You will need LOTS of bleach. Also, if your able to take the time to test every hour several days in a row I believe things might go faster. But when you do test that often be sure to have lots of reagent on hand because another problem I had was running out and having to wait two days for delivery of more reagent. Have to read their post on test kits they recommend?

Some questions that will help us piece everything together:
- Has your sand filter pressure been increasing much?
- Do you see any visible evidence of the baqua product in the water or during backwash?
- Have you been near the pool during the day to keep the FC at 15 as much as possible? You did have one interruption (reagents) correct?

The sand filter pressure has never risen more than 1/2 psi. If by evidence of baqua products you mean the water changing colors no. The water did turn green the first few days be quickly cleared and has been that way since. What we do have is globs of dark "algae" (guessing that what it is) spots that appear on the bottom of the pool. We have been vacuuming them up and they are decreasing. Started out taking time off and testing every hour until reagents became an issue. We have had 50+ mile an hour winds that blew so much dust you could not see along with blowing so much tree debris into the pool it clogged the filter. And we have had lots and lots and lots of rain. Probably have replaced over 50% of the water including what was hauled in to open the pool. Currently have been testing 6 AM, noon, 4 PM, plus twice after sundown. Today we had rain and clouds with no sun and still when from 14.5 (noon test) to 8.5. There are a few globs which we will vac out tomorrow (hopefully no rain). I was reading another post in regard to the ladder. Our ladder has been in the pool this entire process. It is also one that is weighted with sand inside the unit. Could this be causing problems?

What we do have is globs of dark "algae" (guessing that what it is) spots that appear on the bottom of the pool.
Those may actually be the baqua "goo" residual junk. Definitely try to get that stuff out.
Probably have replaced over 50% of the water including what was hauled in to open the pool.
Aside from losing FC, that may actually help you.
There are a few globs which we will vac out tomorrow
Those are most probably causing your FC drops.
Our ladder has been in the pool this entire process. It is also one that is weighted with sand inside the unit. Could this be causing problems?
Absolutely! Remove them if you can and clean inside & out. Those are algae/baqua traps.

Question on the OCLT test. Tested last night, added chlorine according to pool math waited 45 minutes or so and test FC 14.5. Tested first thing this morning FC 16. Does this count as a okay reading for passing the OCLT since it did not lose FC? This is not the first time we have had a higher morning reading following the end of the day test. Thanks again for your help and advise.

You would ideally want to see some consistent numbers. You certainly waited long enough last night before testing. That is odd. As long as there was no chance that last night's bleach addition could have exceed 17, then I would be inclined to say you passed. Waking-up to 16 is pretty good.

Now that FC has had a less than 1 ppm loss overnight for three days (I gave it an extra) and we change sand in filter, do I test for CYA first or is there none with all the chlorine that has been added? Sorry to ask questions but not wanting to go backwards in this process.

Your CYA should be zero. Just use Pool Math to calculate the weight of granular CYA needed to get to 30ppm. Add it and then finish the process.

If I may ask, how much bleach did you wind up using and how much time has your conversion taken from start to sand change?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Started conversion on May 12th. So we have been working on the conversion for three weeks. However, after testing each hour for the first three days I ran out of reagent and had to wait on a reorder. Guessing we used 34 gallons of 6% and 24 gallons of 12.5% chlorine. Maintained minimum over Memorial Day weekend due to waiting on another order of reagent. Water looks beautiful and happy to be moving forward.

I am going to share a set of link I put together for new pool owners. I think they might help you as your are new to chlorine and TFP. You have some of them already but I don't want to leave any out so you get them all LOL

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the links. I have read them several times in hopes of learning to properly maintain my pool. I did not think my baqua to chlorine conversion was complete and I could start a regular schedule since #7 says to maintain a FC level of 15 after the addition of CYA until CC's are .05 or less for two days. I think I am confused.

Trying to understand CYA. Added CYA according to pool math yesterday. Pump running 24/7. Tested CYA 6 am looked a little higher than 30. Tested at noon it appears less than 30 (not real confident in seeing the dot and yes I have visited Taylor web site with photos). Read in your ABC's that it can take up to a week for the CYA to register. Don't want to add since drain/add water is only option to correct. Boosted FC up to 15 at 6 am and noon test read 9.5. Zero CC. Do I just keep an eye on the CYA or do I add?

Keep an eye on it for now. I would not add any more yet.

Here are my "tips" for reading this test:

-GLANCE!!!!! Do not look for the dot. When you are checking to see if you can find the dot GLANCE in only. If you stare you will see it.

Let me know how this works for you.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.