Thanks for the info!!

Feb 9, 2017
Shelbyville, Il
Hi everybody, thought I would share my story with you and my success to date using the methodology taught here.

We bought a house end of Feb with an ABG pool and a huge deck. The deck, the fence, and the pool were rundown and neglected. We originally planned to rip it out and get rid of it. After we closed, the wife said, let's try it for a year before we get rid of it.

We saw the house in Jan and the pool was clear, I was hoping to get in before the green and get some chlorine in it, Feb was a warm month, so by the time we did our final walkthrough, it looked like this.
Now by Tracy Bagwill, on Flickr

I had been preparing and already had a TF-100 with XL option and speedstir ready to do battle with the green monster. Didn't have time right away to really fix it but I knew I had to get in front of it, so i dumped a bunch of bleach in it and brushed to mix it to slow the algae down and got here.
Progressiin by Tracy Bagwill, on Flickr

and finally started changing color to here

One of the complications I have, is we are only at this home over the weekend, we live and work 2 hours away Mon-Fri, so I get Fri night to Mon morning to do anything and then it has to ride 4.5 days before I can get back to it.

So I hookup the plumbing and start filling her up. Of course everything has been abused and neglected and has to be worked on every step of the way. Filter is disassembled, so I have to put it back together, luckily I had all the parts. The pressure gauge is shot, so I bought a new one from TFTestkits (great pressure gauge by the way). Had to replace the return fitting as it had a lumiaire lighted return, but they had busted the lens, removed the bulb and just let the contacts corrode away. So, got it filled up, ran a set of tests on it.

FC 0
CC -- didn't test it, it was green
pH 7.5 (on the low side of 7.5)
TA 190 (was not happy about this)
CH 100 (was surprised it was so low)
CYA 0

Was shocked it had basically no CYA in it. Shocked enough I ordered the standard to check my testing before adding any. So I added enough CYA in a sock to raise it to 30, hung it in front of the return and raised the FC to SLAM level.

Started scooping blind, brushing, vacuuming. Had tons of leaves in it. My wife had the next week off so she stayed the week and kept testing and pouring bleach in it, to hold FC at 12+, while my daughter got brushing duties. Of course that made it much easier to sell the idea of buying a bot to vacuum/scrub the bottom with. So ended up here.

and ended up with one of these

Robot by Tracy Bagwill, on Flickr

His name is OSKR. I rigged up a diy chlorine dosing system that I'll write up later, but is setup so I can turn the pump on-off, and schedule chlorine dosing from my phone.

We had pump leaks and switch failures, and line failures, and a plugged impeller, and rain storms, and wind storms, and ......I don't know what all else, then all of a sudden we could see the bot on the bottom, then the next weekend we could see the bottom, the next weekend it looked really good, my wife said we are done, I said nope, it's hard to see but it's not crystal clear yet, stay the course another week with the new solar cover on it, total chlorine loss for the week was about 5 ppm, CC's check as Zero and it looks like this.

Now by Tracy Bagwill, on Flickr

I rigged up a diy chlorine dosing system that I'll write up later, but is setup so I can turn the pump on-off, and schedule chlorine dosing from my phone.
I'm really curious to see how you did this one. Nice!

Overall, another great testimonial to personal effort, consistency, and utilizing the TFP methodology. You now have a great weekend oasis. Great job! :goodjob:

What an awesome story!!!!! With pictures no less!

I can't wait to see and hear about the chlorine thing you made.

Will you move to the house or is it a weekend getaway?

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim, this house is a weekend/vacation/holiday house for us. We are living in a Condo for the work week and then at the house for everything else. The house is at a large lake, Lake Shelbyville that we have a boat in a slip at the Marina.

Thanks pooldv

That is an Active 10 and it helped so much to grab the leaves and debris off the bottom of the pool when we couldn't see it. Saved me so much time, I would spend that money in a heartbeat again!!

- - - Updated - - -

Just for kicks, I would love to see a picture of OSKR taking a swim. :)

Will do Bob, but it won't be until after Saturday. Won't be at the pool house until Friday night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.