Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thanks for the info!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Thanks for the info!!

Hi everybody, thought I would share my story with you and my success to date using the methodology taught here.

We bought a house end of Feb with an ABG pool and a huge deck. The deck, the fence, and the pool were rundown and neglected. We originally planned to rip it out and get rid of it. After we closed, the wife said, let's try it for a year before we get rid of it.

We saw the house in Jan and the pool was clear, I was hoping to get in before the green and get some chlorine in it, Feb was a warm month, so by the time we did our final walkthrough, it looked like this.
    Now by Tracy Bagwill, on Flickr

I had been preparing and already had a TF-100 with XL option and speedstir ready to do battle with the green monster. Didn't have time right away to really fix it but I knew I had to get in front of it, so i dumped a bunch of bleach in it and brushed to mix it to slow the algae down and got here.
    Progressiin by Tracy Bagwill, on Flickr

and finally started changing color to here

One of the complications I have, is we are only at this home over the weekend, we live and work 2 hours away Mon-Fri, so I get Fri night to Mon morning to do anything and then it has to ride 4.5 days before I can get back to it.

So I hookup the plumbing and start filling her up. Of course everything has been abused and neglected and has to be worked on every step of the way. Filter is disassembled, so I have to put it back together, luckily I had all the parts. The pressure gauge is shot, so I bought a new one from TFTestkits (great pressure gauge by the way). Had to replace the return fitting as it had a lumiaire lighted return, but they had busted the lens, removed the bulb and just let the contacts corrode away. So, got it filled up, ran a set of tests on it.

FC 0
    CC -- didn't test it, it was green
    pH 7.5 (on the low side of 7.5)
    TA 190 (was not happy about this)
    CH 100 (was surprised it was so low)
    CYA 0

Was shocked it had basically no CYA in it. Shocked enough I ordered the standard to check my testing before adding any. So I added enough CYA in a sock to raise it to 30, hung it in front of the return and raised the FC to SLAM level.

Started scooping blind, brushing, vacuuming. Had tons of leaves in it. My wife had the next week off so she stayed the week and kept testing and pouring bleach in it, to hold FC at 12+, while my daughter got brushing duties. Of course that made it much easier to sell the idea of buying a bot to vacuum/scrub the bottom with. So ended up here.

and ended up with one of these

Robot by Tracy Bagwill, on Flickr

His name is OSKR. I rigged up a diy chlorine dosing system that I'll write up later, but is setup so I can turn the pump on-off, and schedule chlorine dosing from my phone.

We had pump leaks and switch failures, and line failures, and a plugged impeller, and rain storms, and wind storms, and ......I don't know what all else, then all of a sudden we could see the bot on the bottom, then the next weekend we could see the bottom, the next weekend it looked really good, my wife said we are done, I said nope, it's hard to see but it's not crystal clear yet, stay the course another week with the new solar cover on it, total chlorine loss for the week was about 5 ppm, CC's check as Zero and it looks like this.

Now by Tracy Bagwill, on Flickr
    23Kgal 41'x21'x4' - 1997 Doughboy Adobe Canyon - Doughboy Silica II filter - Dynamo 1.5 HP Pump - 100K Btu heater(in-op)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thanks for the info!!

What an awesome story!!!!! With pictures no less!

I can't wait to see and hear about the chlorine thing you made.

Will you move to the house or is it a weekend getaway?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I rigged up a diy chlorine dosing system that I'll write up later, but is setup so I can turn the pump on-off, and schedule chlorine dosing from my phone.
    I'm really curious to see how you did this one. Nice!

Overall, another great testimonial to personal effort, consistency, and utilizing the TFP methodology. You now have a great weekend oasis. Great job!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Wow! Great Job! Welcome to the forum.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    What an awesome story!!!!! With pictures no less!

I can't wait to see and hear about the chlorine thing you made.

Will you move to the house or is it a weekend getaway?

Kim

Thanks Kim, this house is a weekend/vacation/holiday house for us. We are living in a Condo for the work week and then at the house for everything else. The house is at a large lake, Lake Shelbyville that we have a boat in a slip at the Marina.
    23Kgal 41'x21'x4' - 1997 Doughboy Adobe Canyon - Doughboy Silica II filter - Dynamo 1.5 HP Pump - 100K Btu heater(in-op)

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Just for kicks, I would love to see a picture of OSKR taking a swim.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I hope that people can understand that this was a reclamation of a pool on weekends only. Yes it took longer than someone watching it every day, but with careful planning and little ingenuity, it can be done.

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP and congrats on thee new pool!

Nice work and nice robot!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks pooldv

That is an Active 10 and it helped so much to grab the leaves and debris off the bottom of the pool when we couldn't see it. Saved me so much time, I would spend that money in a heartbeat again!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Just for kicks, I would love to see a picture of OSKR taking a swim.
    Will do Bob, but it won't be until after Saturday. Won't be at the pool house until Friday night.

10. Back To Top    #10

''I rigged up a diy chlorine dosing system that I'll write up later, but is setup so I can turn the pump on-off, and schedule chlorine dosing from my phone.''

I have my pump so i can power on via phone, really interesting to know how you set the chlorine dosing.
    Outdoor Inground Heated Concrete Tiled Pool - 25ft x 12ft and 3ft 4" to 6ft 6" deep - 45k Litre Water Capacity
    Valve - Hayward Vari-flo 711-13 ------ Pump - Sta-Rite 5P1R
    Filter - Hayward S244T -------- Test Kit - Taylor K2006C