Hayward Xstream

May 15, 2014
KCMO
Hi all, My filter pump setup are pretty old now, the valve leaks when back washing and it just lets alot of sand/dirt through the filter. I can vacuum one day and the next it will look pretty bad. I think i may have damage to the laterals and or to big of pump(1.5hp). Its a 27' agp about 17000 gal. I was thinking of getting a new filter/pump and I saw the cartridge filters would filter better. Anyone have a hayward xstream? how much more maintenance and trouble is it compared to a sand filter. Is the 1500 big enough for my pool? I saw a bunch of post about a vibration issue but it looks like an updated filter came out that seals against the lid better. All post were from 2012-2014 it seems like. Planing on a 1.5 2 speed pump. Thanks in advance

Hey nautique, Welcome to TFP!

I dont know about that filter, but there are plenty our there to choose from. There may be some others here with these thst can weigh in. Wish you good luck on whatever you choose, and hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi all, My filter pump setup are pretty old now, the valve leaks when back washing and it just lets alot of sand/dirt through the filter. I can vacuum one day and the next it will look pretty bad. I think i may have damage to the laterals and or to big of pump(1.5hp). Its a 27' agp about 17000 gal. I was thinking of getting a new filter/pump and I saw the cartridge filters would filter better. Anyone have a hayward xstream? how much more maintenance and trouble is it compared to a sand filter. Is the 1500 big enough for my pool? I saw a bunch of post about a vibration issue but it looks like an updated filter came out that seals against the lid better. All post were from 2012-2014 it seems like. Planing on a 1.5 2 speed pump. Thanks in advance

Hello Nautique, Welcome to TFP.

I'm sorry it took so long to get a reply to your question. I have the Hayward Xstream pump/filter combo with the 150 sqft cartridge filter (I assume this is what you meant by 1500). Overall, I am very happy with it. it seems to be a good setup and I haven't had any issue with it. I would definitely recommend the 150 sqft version as it will take a good amount of use before it needs cleaning. It will do quite well with your pool. There are pros & cons however. I can go a few months in the season without having to clean the filter since I'm just using it to filter out normal stuff. It just runs, which is nice. On the cons side though, it is much more involved to clean than a sand filter. You cant just turn a lever and backwash. You need to shut down the pump, drain the housing down half way then pull the top half the filter housing off. Not difficult, but just more involved. Then take the cartridge out and spend 20 mins hosing it down. Luckily I haven't had an algae breakout, because I think doing this during a green pool SLAM would be a P.I.T.A. But that's my personal incentive to not let the pool go green.

Just for clarity, I have the 2 hp / 2spd version though. I would say that the 1.5 hp would have been a better choice for the pump size. Get the 2 speed pump. On my high speed, there is a bit too much flow and it tends to suck air if the water level gets too low. But I do find that it pumps great on low speed all the time so that is a bit of a trade off. I don't think I would have that issue with the 1.5hp pump. I haven't had any issues with vibration.

Here is mine as I was getting it ready for opening. The small white canister is an inline chlorinator that I don't use regularly, but plumbed in anyway.
w7inx1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.