Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer/return not working on filter setting

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer/return not working on filter setting

This is my first year opening a pool. I got the house and pool at the end of last summer and used info from TFP to close it. I opened the pool and I seem to have the pump primed, but nothing is happening with the skimmer or return when the pump is running in "Filter" mode. The pump is full of water, the water is moving in there, but nothing is happening out in the pool.

I tried changing it to Recirculate to see if anything happened and the skimmer and return work perfectly fine when set to Recirculate.

Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong?
    40,000 gallons, IG, Plaster
    DE Filter - Hayward, Hayward super pump
    Pool built in 1960's
    Using Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer/return not working on filter setting

Is the filter completely clogged up? Are you sure about the valve settings?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like it's time to open up the filter and look inside.
    Any chance the filter froze during the winter and the ice crushed the standpipe and/or screens?
    Last edited by Richard320; 05-08-2017 at 08:56 PM. Reason: wrong filter terms
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Could your filter just be really dirty?

What is your psi?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I cleaned the filter when I closed the pool last fall, so I don't think it should be that dirty. When I poured the DE slurry in the skimmer it took it in, but slowly. The water is really dirty from the debris that was on top of the pool cover getting in the pool when we uncovered it, so I guess it's possible it got clogged up. I'll try backwashing soon. I most likely won't have time today. Should I use a skimmer sock and set it to recirculate until I can backwash?

I'll check the psi when I come home for lunch.

I didn't know that the filters could freeze/crush. I left the drain plug out all winter so water could drain out if needed. The filter is inside the garage.
    Pool built in 1960's

6. Back To Top    #6

If it was empty then the filters aren't crushed.

If there was a lot of debris, you could have something stuck anywhere between the multiport and the filters, inclusive. Try a backwash first. It wouldn't take much -- a piece of tanback could be stuck inside the filter passage inside the multiport or anywhere in one of the manifolds.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay, I'll do that.

PSI is around 27.
    Pool built in 1960's

8. Back To Top    #8

I backwashed it and the psi went down to 21, which is where the previous owners had it marked as the number it runs at when it's clean. Everything did work, so I guess it was either clogged or really got that dirty that quick. I poured in some more DE, put the pool robot in the pool, skimmed for a while to get the bugs and stuff that I could catch before it got to the skimmer. After a couple hours the psi is already back up to 25 and the suction/flow seems low. Is this normal for spring opening? Like I said, the water is really dirty. I'm going to run out of DE quick if I have to keep backwashing constantly.
    Pool built in 1960's

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, normal,

DE filters work really good and as a result, load up really fast. Once the pool is clear, it should go weeks if not months between backwashes as long as you keep the chemicals in line.

10. Back To Top    #10

What is the color of the water?
    Are you following the SLAM process?

One option is to just run in Recirculate mode until you have killed off most of the algae (pool will turn from green to white) and then start with the monotonous filter/backwash dance to clear up the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Yes, normal,

DE filters work really good and as a result, load up really fast. Once the pool is clear, it should go weeks if not months between backwashes as long as you keep the chemicals in line.
    Alright. Yeah, the only time I had to do it last year was when I was closing the pool.

I'll keep backwashing.

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    What is the color of the water?
    Are you following the SLAM process?

One option is to just run in Recirculate mode until you have killed off most of the algae (pool will turn from green to white) and then start with the monotonous filter/backwash dance to clear up the water.
    The water is blue, but not clear. Most of the dirtiness is at the bottom, but some of it is suspended in the water. It's mostly brown stuff that came from the trees (not sure what to call it) sitting on the bottom. It broke up in the water, so if I try to scoop it out, it just floats up into a dirty cloud. I'm trying to get the robot to pick it up and it's getting a little each day, but it's taking a while.
    Pool built in 1960's