Hello new pool owner

May 8, 2017
DuQuoin illinois
Hey friends just recently bought a house with a pool took the cover off and life got in the way, the pool got a little green did the shocking process and now it's super cloudy I've ran the filter for 2 days now with no clearing up bought some floc gonna try that any info is great thanks!

Hi there Zkhc. Welcome.

The short and sweet of it is- we don't believe floc is a good product to put in pools. Causes too much mess, especially with filters.

Read Pool School.

Buy good test kit (mentioned in Pool School)

Decide how you want to care for your new pool- Our way or the Pool Store way. They are entirely different. You'll see that when you get into reading more....

Holler back with any specific questions!

Maddie :flower:

Z,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners that should not floc their pools... :snorkle:

We generally do not recommend that anyone floc their pools unless it is for some special reason.

There are two ways to maintain a pool...

1. Dump a bunch of "Magic" stuff that the pool $tore has sold you into your pool and "Hope" it will fix whatever the problem is. BTW, Hope has been proven to be a pretty poor excuse for a strategy...

or

2. Test your own pool water so you know exactly what needs to be added to fix whatever the specific problem is... Our strategy is... knowing what to do, and knowing what the expected results will be... before adding anything to our pools.

If you think you might be interested in our process of maintaining a pool, please read this ... https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/122-what-is-tfpc-bbb

Let us know and we will be glad to point you in the right direction... :testkit:

Jim R.

Hey friends just recently bought a house with a pool took the cover off and life got in the way, the pool got a little green did the shocking process and now it's super cloudy I've ran the filter for 2 days now with no clearing up bought some floc gonna try that any info is great thanks!
If it's not too late to stop you...

Make sure the algae is all dead before you try floccing. You might not even need that stuff.

I'm going to suggest some reading. It's not much.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry so the rest makes sense
SLAM Process to get rid of algae. That's taking the pool up to shock level and maintaining it for several days until it's all dead. Most pool store shock treatments are incomplete. They win one big battle but not the war. The algae regroups and counterattacks.

Cloudy pool

I've shocked and done everything recommended on here and from the pool shops my levels are are within the recommended stage except the FC I have 3 tablets in the floater and 2 in skimmer and it still shows zero and my pool stays a cloudy blue. My next option is to drain and refill my sons birthday party is next week and he really wants a pool party.

So it seems I got back to this late as I did floc the poolmy mistake but it didn't seem to make much difference I vacced the pool it's now just a cloudy blue color and I've shocked and tested water every day the only issue I'm having with the levels now is the free chlorine.

Re: Cloudy pool

IMG_0436.jpgI've added shock to the pool only 3 things of it and it seems to have killed off the algae and now I'm left with this I've tested it with the strips everything is showing in the required level except free chlorine and no matter what I do I can't bring it up I don't know much about this pool as I just bought the house as soon as I get some details on it I will fill out my sig I do know it's 15000 gal with sand filter

Z

I highly reccomend you read some of those links posted. Starting with the ABC's of pool water chemistry. I posted them above and it looks like Richard did as well. It's important reading because "required" level can't be determined by a test strip.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.