Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AA Treatment and Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

AA Treatment and Algae

I am getting my pool ready for the season and I have a lot of staining that has happened over the winter from organic debris and also metals. I need to shock to kill algae but am wanting to an AA treatment. Which should I do first?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AA Treatment and Algae

Gosh, are those your only two options?? How about draining and refilling? How about finding what put the metals in there in the first place? Have you read Pool School at all? Lots of information right up there for the taking!

Welcome to TFP, Oxford!

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

My water supply is well water. I know there are metals in it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you consider trucking in metal free water?

Do you use sequestrants routinely?

Which metals are in your well? If you do a search here for removing iron, you'll see some interesting ideas such as lining the skimmer with paper towels to help collect the iron. Or using a big plastic box filled with polyfoam pillow stuffing to run the fill water thru to collect iron. There are also some pre-filters folks have used with some luck.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

I am just now learning about these things. I have not used any sequestrants yet but will. I have multiple things I am trying to get taken care off but I am not sure what order to do them.
    The things I need to do before we start swimming: Slam(to take care of remaining algae), aa treatment, add sequestrants for metal

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hands down, get rid of the algae first. Get your pool in swimmable shape and then start on the stains.

Don't even think about staining until your pool water is clear.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Dave's right, algae before stains. Do you understand our SLAM process? SLAM

Maddie

8. Back To Top    #8

The water is clear there is just a small amount of algae in the corners of a couple of steps. It just sounds like I am going to have to shock it after working on the stains so I was wondering if I should just wait.

9. Back To Top    #9

There are 3 criteria to pass the SLAM, once you pass all three then remove the stains. If you remove the stains and then shock the pool the stains will likely return.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Sidenote- stairs are notorious for having bad circulation. Gotta brush them now and then to keep chlorinated water moving up there. And make sure your chlorine level is appropriate based on your CYA stabilizer level--> FC/CYA Chart