AA Treatment and Algae

Oxford

May 8, 2017
Oxford MS
I am getting my pool ready for the season and I have a lot of staining that has happened over the winter from organic debris and also metals. I need to shock to kill algae but am wanting to an AA treatment. Which should I do first?

Gosh, are those your only two options?? How about draining and refilling? How about finding what put the metals in there in the first place? Have you read Pool School at all? Lots of information right up there for the taking!

Welcome to TFP, Oxford!

Maddie :flower:

Can you consider trucking in metal free water?

Do you use sequestrants routinely?

Which metals are in your well? If you do a search here for removing iron, you'll see some interesting ideas such as lining the skimmer with paper towels to help collect the iron. Or using a big plastic box filled with polyfoam pillow stuffing to run the fill water thru to collect iron. There are also some pre-filters folks have used with some luck.

Maddie :flower:

I am just now learning about these things. I have not used any sequestrants yet but will. I have multiple things I am trying to get taken care off but I am not sure what order to do them.
The things I need to do before we start swimming: Slam(to take care of remaining algae), aa treatment, add sequestrants for metal

The water is clear there is just a small amount of algae in the corners of a couple of steps. It just sounds like I am going to have to shock it after working on the stains so I was wondering if I should just wait.

Sidenote- stairs are notorious for having bad circulation. Gotta brush them now and then to keep chlorinated water moving up there. And make sure your chlorine level is appropriate based on your CYA stabilizer level--> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.