Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Day 10 of SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Day 10 of SLAM

Yes day 10. First here are my readings..
    FC 10
    CH 140
    PH 7.4
    TA 170
    CYA 30
    As soon as my pool thawed I was eager to get it in shape for the season. Fired up the pump, vacuumed and brushed right away and brought my FC up, lowered PH because it was off the charts and added stabilizer. Once I had my numbers with in range I started my SLAM. Water has changed from green to milky white. I am loosing about 2ppm chlorine every 2-3 hrs. I am trying to keep CH at 12ppm according to the CH/CYA chart and using 12% liquid chlorine. I think I am on the right track but is this taking longer than it should?

Here is a pic from this afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22'x52" intex ultra frame pool. 10,472 gallon. 14" Intex sand filter w/ 0.75-Hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Day 10 of SLAM

Sounds right because my pool is the same after 10 days. I think its these sand filters. Sllloooowww...

Hang in there, last year took about 2 weeks, so you are almost done. Unless something else is going on. Gotta wait for the experts for that.
    Vinyl IG 18x43 25,000 gallon
    Hayward Pro s244T 300 lb Sand (with occasional addition of clarifier)
    1.5 HP pump; Polaris 380 with booster pump; Hayward H400 gas heater
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR

3. Back To Top    #3

You are on the right track. CYA of 30 and FC of 12. Now it's a matter of consistent scrubbing and filter cleaning as required. It will take a little time, but the chlorine (bleach) will do it's thing. The fact you've gone from green to white is an indication of progress. If you have a ladder in the water, remove it now too. It should be inspected really well in the tubes, steps, and such. Hang in there.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the encouragement! Can't wait for my OCLT! Or at least to see the bottom
    22'x52" intex ultra frame pool. 10,472 gallon. 14" Intex sand filter w/ 0.75-Hp pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

When a SLAM stalls like that, I get suspicious.

Did you remove a bunch of debris from the bottom already? If there's some leaves composting down at the bottom, it'll take forever. What about the ladder? Great hiding spot. Areas impossible to brush.

If you've done things right so far, then you need to get aggressive. Doublecheck CYA to ensure you're maintaining a high enough FC level. Improve circulation down low by setting the vacuum in there tilted on it's side or upside-down to pull water from the bottom to the filter. You might also want to try adding a little DE to your filter as mentioned in the SLAM article.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I would also suggest making sure the liquid chlorine you're using is fresh and strong. Once in a while its not a bad idea to test again after adding (30 min or so with pump running) just to make sure you're getting that FC up to where you wanted it to be.

Folks have been known to accidentally buy old bleach that was just expensive water and didn't work too well.....

Just a suggestion

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    When a SLAM stalls like that, I get suspicious.

Did you remove a bunch of debris from the bottom already? If there's some leaves composting down at the bottom, it'll take forever. What about the ladder? Great hiding spot. Areas impossible to brush.

If you've done things right so far, then you need to get aggressive. Doublecheck CYA to ensure you're maintaining a high enough FC level. Improve circulation down low by setting the vacuum in there tilted on it's side or upside-down to pull water from the bottom to the filter. You might also want to try adding a little DE to your filter as mentioned in the SLAM article.
    Richard, the poster is only on Day 10. Is that considered stalling? I was under the impression that SLAM should be expected to last weeks.
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Eilum View Post
    Richard, the poster is only on Day 10. Is that considered stalling? I was under the impression that SLAM should be expected to last weeks.
    One to two weeks is pretty normal from start to finish. He's at Day 10 and still can't see but a few inches down. A black sludge pond can go blue-grey and cloudy in as little as a day. I would expect a lot better after ten days, so something is going on.

From the SLAM article
    While SLAMing, the appearance of the water should improve each day, though perhaps only by a little. If you fail to see any improvement you might have a problem with your filter, or have a higher CYA level than you think, or bad circulation, or have some other more complex problem.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

From the SLAM article
    While SLAMing, the appearance of the water should improve each day, though perhaps only by a little. If you fail to see any improvement you might have a problem with your filter, or have a higher CYA level than you think, or bad circulation, or have some other more complex problem.
    Ok, I see. As was suggested to me, take a picture every day so that you can measure the progress. Sometimes we can't see it in real time but the pictures will show if it is getting clearer or not.
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you all for the advice! As I continue daily vacuuming, there is no longer debris on the bottom. I am also running the cartridge filter that came with the pool for extra filtration. I will continue to keep my chlorine up until I can see clear results. Looking back at last years pool log it did take some time for the water to clear.