Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach and Borax

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach and Borax

If i'm shocking my pool with bleach, can I add Borax at the same time to bring up the PH....

Thanks
    17,200 in ground Vinyl pool......
    Salt Water
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach and Borax

PH reads false high when FC is above 10. Wait until the FC are below 10 to do any adjusting of PH levels.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm still trying to get whatever is eating my chlorine out.....I've dumped about 30 plus gallons of bleach i it in the last 2 days, woke up and tested this morning and was stil at FC 6 and CC 2.5 I tested the ph and it was low, 6.8, but I still need to continue shocking.....Should I wait till the shock treatment is over before raising ph....
    Salt Water
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

If your FC is 6 right now, go ahead and add the borax now. Let it circulate an hour, retest, add more if necessary. When your PH is up to 7.2-7.4, then you can resume shocking.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

If you post a full set of water test results we can give you much better advice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

FC 6
    CC 3
    CYA 25 on 6/19 but added enough stab. to bring it up to 60
    TA 90
    PH 6.8

Been shocking with bleach to bring up to 24 ppm last 1.5 days
    Salt Water
    Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Shocked and tested again

FC 20.5
    CC 2.5
    Salt Water
    Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

If you didn't add the Borax yet....

next time the FC drops below 10, add the Borax.

Make sure your pool is not covered, the sun will help destroy the CCs.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the help.....So I should keep the solar cover off, keep the Shock at 24ppm, unti the CC is .5 or 0???

Then when the FC drops to below 10, raise the PH.......Would it help if I ran the fountain now, does that help raise PH?

Does this sound right???
    Salt Water
    Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds right. You can try the fountain, I don't know if it will work with your TA at that level.

11. Back To Top    #11

Another question on shocking

I've gotten my cc down to about 1.5ppm

I'm continuing to add bleach to keep the FC at 24ppm....Do I continue to do this until I have no cc, and it can hold FC overnight????

Is this abnormal to not be able to get CC down fast.....Not sure what was in the water, but it sure seems hard to kill, just doesn't want to go away.....I have a ouotside garbage bin full of bleach containers.....
    Salt Water
    Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: Another question on shocking

please keep your posts in the same thread, it helps to re-read what's going on and your history.
    you are done shocking when your water is clear, cc's are .5 or less and you lose 1ppm or less fc overnight.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry thanks,

I thought the new question might get lost on the bottom of an older thread....
    Salt Water
    Sand Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

the only thing that gets lost around here is algae ;)

haha, corny I know.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Duk
    I've gotten my cc down to about 1.5ppm

I'm continuing to add bleach to keep the FC at 24ppm....Do I continue to do this until I have no cc, and it can hold FC overnight????

Is this abnormal to not be able to get CC down fast.....Not sure what was in the water, but it sure seems hard to kill, just doesn't want to go away.....I have a ouotside garbage bin full of bleach containers.....
    Yes, continue adding bleach until CC is 0.5 or lower and FC holds overnight.

There are different forms of CC. Some go away much more easily than others.

You want to maintain shock level and have plenty of direct sunlight to help break down the remaining CC.

Topic merged. JasonLion
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

I’m new so I’m asking to learn.
    Would it have been better for Wild Duk to get the pH ideal first, and then start shocking? Would that have altered the shock results?
    Or Wild Duk, was the pH ideal but it changed on you during the shock process?
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

17. Back To Top    #17

It is best to get the PH very roughly into the correct range first and then shock. There can be a problem with shocking when PH is way off of what it is supposed to be, but there is no need to get the PH exactly right (except perhaps for baquacil conversions).