New to the forum and pool disaster area. pic heavy

soundguy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
Gulf Coast, AL
Hi all.
I'm new to the forum and would like to say thanks for all the great info on this site. I have already learned a lot, and I don't even have an operational pool yet. The record setting heat here in South Alabama has inspired me to change the status of the pool from a frog farm to a reservoir of delightful bliss. BTW, the house was a foreclosure. I did not let the pool get like it is now.

I would appreciate any tips you could give.

The pool is an 18x36 Grecian style with 3' and ~8' debts.
I am going to replace the liner myself. New padding etc...
The liner I have chosen is an Equator brand 30 mil from National pool wholesalers.

I'm also going to install an SWG from Circupool model RJ45.

Here are some pics
Then some questions.

If you have a link to answer a question, that would be great.

IMG_1415R.jpg

IMG_1416R.jpg

IMG_1417R.jpg

IMG_1422R.jpg

IMG_1421R.jpg

IMG_1420R.jpg

IMG_1425R.jpg

IMG_1428R.jpg

1. What is missing from the skimmer? (other than the basket) It looks like the pipe should continue through to the other side.

2. I'm sure having only 1 return is not so good. Is there a way to make it more efficient? Do I need to point it to one end?
I think the return is 2" I did not measure though

3. The stairs are in pretty bad shape. Is there a cheap product I can apply to seal them?

4. What do I do with the filter. You can see the rusty spring and the nasty water. Should I replace the sand? Do I need to replace the whole filter? Do I replace the filter main valve?

This system looks to be the cheapest they could get by with.
I want to make sure I do everything properly and efficiently.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Hi and welcome. Interesting photos - that liner doesn't look that old. What a shame. I agree- it does look like they cut some corners. The return right by the skimmer? That seems like an odd location. Do you know if there is a bottom drain in the deepend under all that muck? If not, circulation may be an issue.

I'll let the build/equipment experts answer you other questions because I have no clue. :oops:

Keep us posted - we love picture journals.... :goodjob:

Good luck, hope things work out to your advantage. :wink:

I'm not a builder, but it looks like the circulation system on that install is undersized. I don't think it will do an efficient job of turning over the water.

It also looks like they ran the return jet through the bottom of the skimmer assly. I'm pretty sure that is way off from what it should be, even if there is a floor drain. You will never get proper circulation with the layout that is there.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

I will know tonight if there is a bottom drain. I'm going to pump the water out, carefully relocate the frogs to a nice stream in the back of the neighborhood, and remove the debris.

BTW, one of my frogs is bigger than both of my fists together. It is huge.
I'm tempted to have it for dinner. Not really.

The liner doesnt look bad. The wrinkles can be taken care of with fill water. The disturbing thing to me is i only see one return, and i dont see how that skimmer works correctrly the way it is.
The filter look awful. That has to be cleaned up and filled with clean, fresh sand. The PVC looks new, but that pump looks pretty old. Honestly, I'd find a reputable vinyl pool builder in the area and have him come out and look at it. The equipment looks pretty beat up. The one return still bugs me, though. Was this a DYI build, if you know?

I pumped the water out of the hopper yesterday and discovered 5 landscaping rocks. 2 of them were 40# or more. I think that is what caused the 2 tears in the liner which put the pool in its current state.

Does anyone have ideas about these questions?

1. What is missing from the skimmer? (other than the basket) It looks like the pipe should continue through to the other side.

2. I'm sure having only 1 return is not so good. Is there a way to make it more efficient? Do I need to point it to one end?
I think the return is 2" I did not measure though

3. The stairs are in pretty bad shape. Is there a cheap product I can apply to seal them?

4. What do I do with the filter. You can see the rusty spring and the nasty water. Should I replace the sand? Do I need to replace the whole filter? Do I replace the filter main valve?

Thanks.

I would think a new liner. I'm not sure thats salvagable. A new filter and pump might be needed. The fliter could just need to be cleaned realy well and a new multiport valve installed. The pump looks old, but if it pumps water correctly, it might be saved.

And, surely there is a main drain at the bottom!

Without being there its hard to say what you need. I'll reiterate what i said before. If it were mine, I would at least call a pool builder out and have them look at it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
I'd get three estimates - and compare notes.

Yes!

And..call one that specializes in vinyl package pools, because thats what that one is. I would also try and find one thats local, been in business for awhile, and not hooked up with a national chain. I know there are horror stories with pool builders, but if you find a local guy thats been in business for awhile, they tend to be pretty good.

I sent a PM to one of our resident build/repair/equipment Special Contributors, asking him to offer advice. I'm also going to move your post to a different forum where it might get more attention from those more familiar with that subject. (I'm not :wink: .)

soundguy said:
I'll know this evening whether or not there is a main drain.
But judging by the picture of the pump and filter, specifically the piping, it does not look like a floor drain is a possibility, does it?

Hard to say. Usually there is valve that lets you control the suction between the skimmer and the main. IOW, you can put all the suction on either the skimmer(s) (like for vacuuming), the main, or split somewhere between the 2. I dont see smething like this.
Was this a DYI pool per chance?

Hi there and welcome to TFP!!

FPM asked me to take a look at this - so here I am :)

From the pics it looks like the liner wasn't correctly 1) measured for the pool and/ or 2) installed -- look at the pic of the skimmer and how the tile line sags :hammer:

A new liner is definitely in order! If the return line is run THROUGH :shock: the skimmer - hunt down whoever built the pool and do the world a HUGE favor by killing them :twisted: :wink:

One return directly under the skimmer is SOOOOOO counterproductive - you blow all the debris AWAY from the skimmer :hammer: However :idea: you can rig up a M/A to a tee and get the water moving in a far more optimal pattern (the pipe size ought be 1 1/2")

That's a few things I see right off the bat - I, and many others here, will stick with you as you address the issues [post as many pics as you can and ask plenty of questions :goodjob: ]

Sorry Ann :oops:

M/A is a 'male adapter' (it's got threads that screw into a F/A female adapter :wink: )

A Tee has 3 ports - 2 of them in a straight line and the other at a 90* from them. If you used one and put F/A's on each side, with a directional 'eyeball'- the circulation would flow to both the deep end wall and the shallow end wall and meet in the middle of the pool to force floating debris into the skimmer :idea: :-D

Optimal - NO, practical for the existing set- up -- Heck yeah :party:

Well that's good news.
I was afraid I was about to do some major concrete demolition and rework to add a skimmer and return or two.
A T with some directional jets sounds like a winner.

So, here is what I'm left with:

-The skimmer- what do I need to make it function properly?
-The stairs. What do I coat them with?
-The pump and filter. I may just go ahead and replace both. Unless I'm told the filter is perfectly usable.
The pump with an intelliflo...unless there is another pump out there that is close in efficiency and way cheaper
The filter. Should I go with sand, or DE?
-SWG. I am planning to use a Circupool RJ45.
-Liner. 30 mil from National pool wholesalers.

Oh, I removed all of the debris from the hopper last night, and there is no floor drain.

Thanks for the help.

soundguy said:
Well that's good news.
I was afraid I was about to do some major concrete demolition and rework to add a skimmer and return or two.
A T with some directional jets sounds like a winner.

So, here is what I'm left with:

-The skimmer- what do I need to make it function properly?
I would fix the break in the return line and then fashion some sort of elbow and a short length of PVC to direct the return water to the deep end to get a clockwise circulation going.

-The stairs. What do I coat them with?
They don't look bad to me. Some time with a scrub brush and cleaner is all I would do. I would use something like a citrus based cleaner, but not anything abrasive. If the stains don't come out immediately, they might bleach out in time.

-The pump and filter. I may just go ahead and replace both. Unless I'm told the filter is perfectly usable.
How mechanically inclined are you? It doesn't look like the filter was ever winterized- I am assuming you don't get freezing temps where you are? If the filter froze over the winter, the parts to fix it will get expensive and I would likely replace it. Were it me, I would disassemble, junk the sand, clean it good and examine all the parts and pieces inside for cracks and breaks. As long as the thing is sound, I would fix it up and use it and replace a few of the more inexpensive parts if it needs it. If you start getting into a large expense in parts, I would replace with a DE filter.

The pump with an intelliflo...unless there is another pump out there that is close in efficiency and way cheaper
Pumps are expensive, if this one works, I would stick with it.
The filter. Should I go with sand, or DE?
I would go with the sand filter that you have if it can be cleaned up and used- no need to replace it if the guts aren't busted up from freezing. To me it just looks nasty from lack of proper winterizing and lack of use. I would disassemble completely and use some bleach to clean it up. Some new sand and you could be in business. If you do need to replace it, I'm a DE fan. Lots of pools use sand and it works perfectly well, is cheaper, and less maintenance. I just think DE filtered water "sparkles" more. A lot of it really depends on your pocketbook and personal preference.

-SWG. I am planning to use a Circupool RJ45.
Don't know 'nuthin about them other than I am thinking of adding one to my pool.

-Liner. 30 mil from National pool wholesalers.
30 mil is a heavy liner. Buy the thickest and heaviest liner you can afford now and take your time to install it properly. I would be comfortable with 30mil.

Oh, I removed all of the debris from the hopper last night, and there is no floor drain.
I figured that since you only have one line coming into pump, presumably the skimmer, and one line going out, presumably the return. I was guessing no bottom drain. I think if you fashion a PVC Tee to get that clockwise circulation going, you will get good filtration without a bottom drain, just might have a bit more vacuuming to do on occasion.

Thanks for the help.

Bear in mind, my advice is worth what you paid for it, maybe less. Keep those pics coming, this is a really interesting thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.