New Indoor Pool - Salt or Something Else???

71Pool

May 8, 2017
Bronx, NY
Hi everyone -

We are in the process of picking a contractor and one of the big questions is regarding which filtration/sanitation system is best for an infrequently used (compared to public pools) indoor pool. Two prospective contractors are saying salt and one is claiming a hybrid UV/Oxidizer. I've done searches in this forum, but most responses are aimed at outdoor pools. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP!

I would go with saltwater for sure. It is cheaper, easier and lower maintenance. My last two pools have been SWG and every pool I ever have again will be also.

No, definitely not as long as you maintain CYA at 30 ppm and keep your FC above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. The chlorine smell you associate with indoor pools is really CC smell because there isn't enough chlorine in the pool to burn off the CC.

You will be amazed at how there is no chlorine smell ever with properly maintained chlorine and CYA. I'm sitting in my pool right now with FC at 14, left over from the pool party all weekend, and even my with my nose at the water surface I can't smell any chlorine smell at all.

Thanks - for a novice, do salt generators input the same level of chorine as pools where the owner adds the chemical manually? Is there any advantage of adding any other systems in order to be lower the amount of chlorine?

Comparatively speaking, a SWG adds chlorine to the pool gradually and relative to the pump run time and percentage that it is dialled in as opposed to a one off dump of bleach/liquid chlorine.
Due to this, most SWG pools can run at a lower FC level for their CYA to avoid algae.

I was intrigued by SWG's when I first got my indoor pool. It was mostly based on my experience in saltwater pools that in retrospect just happened to be well-maintained pools. My indoor pool is so low-maintenance that sometimes I mess with it just because I want to play with my Speedstir! I can't even take advantage of sales on chlorine because if I buy more than a case of 4, the last gallons are of questionable age by the time I need them.

If it were me, I wouldn't install either of those systems unless you need automation because of extended travel/absence. I would make sure the equipment installation leaves ample room for the addition of systems, but I'd live with the pool for a while before taking that plunge. (you could also consider a Stenner pump to automate the addition of liquid chlorine...)

I DO occasionally (rarely) smell CC. Being enclosed exacerbates even slight odors, so I'm appreciate of my exhaust fan. (when I got the home, I had to SLAM the green pool - the fan ran for over 2 weeks straight!)

Thanks. And yes, we could be away for 2-3 weeks at a time, so I think automation is a key component. I'm planing on installing a small continuous exhaust fan with intake at pool room floor level. There will also be an auto-cover as well. Not sure if the impact regarding that though.

The cover will slow evaporation which will help retain heat in the pool and keep humidity lower in the room. The cover will also slow out gassing at the pool surface which will slow pH rise by quite a bit. Which should eliminate the need for any type of acid automation for pH control. With just an SWG you will be all set to travel for weeks at a time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AquaRite, Circupool and Pentair Intellichlor are the most popular brands. Size the SWG 1.5- 2x the size of the pool so you can run the pump less and produce more chlorine. If your pool is 15-20k gal then get a 30-40k SWG.

All SWGs monitor salt but not for automation purposes. They monitor salt so they can tell you if you need to add more salt. SWGs are controlled by setting the percentage output on the cell, 20%, 50%, 70%, etc and the amount of pump runtime to control how much chlorine is produced daily.

Thanks! I hate to add another question. But here we go - when I was traveling once, I swam in a hotel pool for which the water felt almost like lake water and the condition (hardness was great). I should have asked the hotel what they used in the pool, but have you heard of other chemicals like bromide, that are better than chlorine, or is chorine still the most "favored" sanitizer in the market?

Adding salt to the water will give the softer water feel. Chlorine vs bromine doesn't change the water feel. Bromine is more expensive and takes more effort and you end up using chlorine anyway to activate the bromine anyway.

You'll love your TFP water, it will make you you hate all other pools.

I'm far from an expert on indoor pools, but UV systems are sometimes recommended for indoor pools since they can help with CC levels and some sanitization. A little searching can find some more threads; this looks like a relevant discussion: UV pool Sanitizer to augment SWG?

Seems like you might just allow for the option of adding UV in the future if needed.

I'm planing on installing a small continuous exhaust fan with intake at pool room floor level.

I meant to ask you about this. Has an HVAC expert looked at how the air will flow? What's the source of replacement air? A standard recommendation is to heat the air to at least the water temp. I can't do that, so as my fan is expelling air, chilly air can be passed along the water.

Good point - the room is going to be very leaky as we are planning on using several garage doors, so I think air will flow at all elevations. I only thought to put it low in case any dense "nasties" hang out at water level - where we will be breathing a lot.

Dense nasties are for non-TFP pools! Seriously - you've joined this forum before breaking ground on your pool...? It will be a fresh, clean pool. If you plan larger swim parties, CC will be a reality, but you can manage it. Have you considered putting a shower head nearby?

So the room will have an exhaust fan and a dehumidification system?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.