New Home / Pool. Found TFP too late! Need Help

May 8, 2017
York
Hello,

I moved into a new house with an in ground pool. The people who installed the pool came and "opened it" meaning they took the cover off started the filter/pump and added something called PoolRX (Black).

I also purchased chemicals from them prior to finding this website.

I am going to post pictures of my pool/filter and the chemicals I have.

The pool is 20x30x46

The Filter I am not sure...

The chemicals
1 bucket 3' Tabs
2 boxes of super shock w/ 12 per box
2 bottles of Algae Control

I know i need to get a proper test kit which i have already ordered online.

With the chemicals I have I need help getting the pool properly opened and running. Keep in mind i have no idea where to start...

pool 1.jpgpool 2 .jpg

Thank you!!!

The chemicals
1 bucket 3' Tabs
That's probably what caused most of the problem. Do a lot of reading in Pool School on the SLAM procedure until your test kit arrives and post us up some good numbers when it does. And find a good deal on bleach!

3" tabs: Useful for vacation and organic stain removal on some surfaces.

Shock: Depends on what's in it. I would avoid using until you had your pool up and running for a few months and really understood what it was going to do to your pool.

Algaecide: Eh. If it's Polyquat 60 it might be useful at closing or in other very limited circumstances. If it has copper in it no-way.

Like woodyp said, a convenient and cheap place to buy bleach is of top importance.

TF4,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool owners that have finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel... :shark:

Until you can tell us your test results, no one here can guess at what you might be able to use....

If you can, take those chemicals back... If not, consider it a learning lesson.. :(

Looking forward to your test results,

Jim R.

The chemicals
1 bucket 3' Tabs

Hello and Welcome to TFP!

I like the pool but I'm sorry to see they didn't close nor open it very well. It looks a bit green around the gills!

You won't be able to use those tabs or shock right away because they add more CYA to your water which you probably have more than enough of anyway.

It will be hard to fully help you until you get that test kit in. Once you find a place to buy the bleach, you need quite a few gallons to get things cleared up. That 33k gallons is gonna eat through a lot of chlorine!!

Where is York? We might be able to suggest where to find the best deals on Bleach.

You said you ordered a "proper test kit" online. Which one did you order. There are only two test kits that we recommend, the TF-100 and the Taylor K-2006. Any other kit won't provide all the information you will need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the previous owners have only used that 3' tabs for the life of the pool, you could very well have way too much CYA in the water right now. I had a CYA around 600 last year, and needed to drain my pool to get it back to under 50. DO NOT use those tabs until your kit arrives. If your CYA is under control, there is a chance you will be able to use some of those chemicals in the future, but they will not be the main way you will take care of it going forward.

Start looking for a good place to buy bleach or liquid pool shock near you, as that will be your best bet once the kit arrives. Once you get the kit, and post your numbers, we will get you a crystal clear pool shortly after you post the numbers. But, we need those numbers first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.