Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Home / Pool. Found TFP too late! Need Help

1. Back To Top    #1

New Home / Pool. Found TFP too late! Need Help

Hello,

I moved into a new house with an in ground pool. The people who installed the pool came and "opened it" meaning they took the cover off started the filter/pump and added something called PoolRX (Black).

I also purchased chemicals from them prior to finding this website.

I am going to post pictures of my pool/filter and the chemicals I have.

The pool is 20x30x46

The Filter I am not sure...

The chemicals
    1 bucket 3' Tabs
    2 boxes of super shock w/ 12 per box
    2 bottles of Algae Control

I know i need to get a proper test kit which i have already ordered online.

With the chemicals I have I need help getting the pool properly opened and running. Keep in mind i have no idea where to start...

pool 1.jpgpool 2 .jpg

Thank you!!!
    In Ground, liner, 20x30x46, 33k gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Home / Pool. Found TFP too late! Need Help

The chemicals
    1 bucket 3' Tabs
    That's probably what caused most of the problem. Do a lot of reading in Pool School on the SLAM procedure until your test kit arrives and post us up some good numbers when it does. And find a good deal on bleach!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have not done anything to it yet but i did spend over $200 on those chemicals. Is there no way to use them now until I run through them and then can use the SLAM method?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

3" tabs: Useful for vacation and organic stain removal on some surfaces.

Shock: Depends on what's in it. I would avoid using until you had your pool up and running for a few months and really understood what it was going to do to your pool.

Algaecide: Eh. If it's Polyquat 60 it might be useful at closing or in other very limited circumstances. If it has copper in it no-way.

Like woodyp said, a convenient and cheap place to buy bleach is of top importance.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

5. Back To Top    #5

AHHH! I will look at what i have.

Thank you!
    Last edited by ToddFather4; 05-08-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: re post

6. Back To Top    #6

TF4,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool owners that have finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel...

Until you can tell us your test results, no one here can guess at what you might be able to use....

If you can, take those chemicals back... If not, consider it a learning lesson..

Looking forward to your test results,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

New Home / Pool. Found TFP too late! Need Help

Quote Originally Posted by ToddFather4 View Post

The chemicals
    1 bucket 3' Tabs
    Hello and Welcome to TFP!

I like the pool but I'm sorry to see they didn't close nor open it very well. It looks a bit green around the gills!

You won't be able to use those tabs or shock right away because they add more CYA to your water which you probably have more than enough of anyway.

It will be hard to fully help you until you get that test kit in. Once you find a place to buy the bleach, you need quite a few gallons to get things cleared up. That 33k gallons is gonna eat through a lot of chlorine!!

Where is York? We might be able to suggest where to find the best deals on Bleach.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looking forward to seeing this cleaned up using TFP!
    36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

You said you ordered a "proper test kit" online. Which one did you order. There are only two test kits that we recommend, the TF-100 and the Taylor K-2006. Any other kit won't provide all the information you will need.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

10. Back To Top    #10

My pool is the same size and I went through 10cs. (2 gal./cs.) when I first got my green pool.
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

11. Back To Top    #11

If the previous owners have only used that 3' tabs for the life of the pool, you could very well have way too much CYA in the water right now. I had a CYA around 600 last year, and needed to drain my pool to get it back to under 50. DO NOT use those tabs until your kit arrives. If your CYA is under control, there is a chance you will be able to use some of those chemicals in the future, but they will not be the main way you will take care of it going forward.

Start looking for a good place to buy bleach or liquid pool shock near you, as that will be your best bet once the kit arrives. Once you get the kit, and post your numbers, we will get you a crystal clear pool shortly after you post the numbers. But, we need those numbers first.
    Bruce - (The SmartJack was an invention of mine, and became my nickname)
    Fox Pool 40x27 IG Vinyl, Lagoon Shape, 27,000 gallons, Hayward 300,000 BTU heater
    Hayward 1.5 HP, 2-Speed SuperPump, with Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter
    Polaris C-310 ORP Controller, modified to pump Liquid Chlorine
    Hayward Phantom, and Aquabot Turbo T-Jet automatic pool cleaners, Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

oh man...you are going to be soooo stoked when you see what can happen with this pool! take a picture every day from the same spot once you get started and post them so we can watch it go from swamp to sweet!
    Windy ☆ 22ft round, 11,400 gal, intex ag vinyl, SF70110-1 Intex sand filter/2800 gph pump, CS8110 intex swg, city water, solar heater, TF100 test kit/speed stirrer, over the wall intex skimmer~fall river ks~SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math

13. Back To Top    #13

York is in south central Pennsylvania.

I found the walmart liquid bleach at 3.64 / gallon. 10%

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

14. Back To Top    #14

Walmart usually does one sale a summer where the price is 2.50 a gal for liq chlorine in the pool section
    Windy ☆ 22ft round, 11,400 gal, intex ag vinyl, SF70110-1 Intex sand filter/2800 gph pump, CS8110 intex swg, city water, solar heater, TF100 test kit/speed stirrer, over the wall intex skimmer~fall river ks~SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math