Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Challenger pump replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Challenger pump replacement

My Pentair Challenger High Performance pump died (after only 3 seasons), 1.5 hp, Model CFII N1/343234. I'm looking into replacing it myself with the cost of replacing the whole pump being b/w $500-600. I called my pool installer to see how much they would charge for the job, but only received a phone message saying we could "upgrade" to a Whisperflo (they don't sell the Challengers anymore, but could replace just the motor). Does anyone know how the challenger compares to the Whisperflo and what are the differences? Can't really find any info comparing the two online.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me,

Vince
    2013, 20 x 42 30K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Aqua Comfort AC1250 heat pump, Pentair FNS 48
    DE filter/1.5hp Pentair Challenger pump/IntelliChlor SWG/Easy Touch controls/Legend Platinum cleaner with 3/4hp booster pump, TF-100. Borate.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Challenger pump replacement

You could just replace the motor at close to half the cost. While you are at it, you could go with a two speed and save on energy costs.

But are you sure it just isn't a bad capacitor?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'd like to try to replace just the motor, but am having a hard time finding one. Looks like an OEM Pentair motor is impossible to find. Are there any aftermarket motors that you would recommend? I have no idea if there are differences in quality/durability and how they compare to the OEM pump. I was also interested in knowing if the whisperflo is indeed and upgrade, and if so, what makes it better. I can't find anything online or on youtube that compares the two. Any info would be much appreciated as I have to make a decision very quickly.

P.S., I don't know what the capacitor is, but I presume it is the pump as it got very loud about a year ago and definitely sounded like there was something "mechanical" happening.

Also, the reason I was planning to change it for the same motor, as apposed to a two speed, is that I think I can change the motor myself but not if it includes modification to the plumbing or electrical. Are they all pretty much the same size so I could slip any "similar" pump. Does a two speed require changes to the programming of easy touch panel?

Vince
    2013, 20 x 42 30K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Aqua Comfort AC1250 heat pump, Pentair FNS 48
    DE filter/1.5hp Pentair Challenger pump/IntelliChlor SWG/Easy Touch controls/Legend Platinum cleaner with 3/4hp booster pump, TF-100. Borate.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would put the Challenger and Whisperflo in the same category. Whisperflo might be a bit more efficient. But really both are overkill for just filtering and circulation. They are more suited to a pool with a spa that requires high flow rate at high pressure.

But if you are interested in a motor, the Century B2982 should work fine with that wet end. With a two speed, low speed will use about 75% less energy than high speed so significant savings. The B2982T comes with a timer if you need that.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you, I'll look into the century!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Magnetek A.O. Smith 1.5 HP, 56Y Frame, Up-Rate Motor (b2854, 717721624) - INYOPools.com, this is the same as your motor if your staying with a single speed

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, will reseach tonight