Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 for 1?

1. Back To Top    #1

2 for 1?

My pool pump is about 12 years and after replacing the shaft seal from a leak, it is still leaking very slowly. I suspect the seal plate has a crack. I also noticed my booster pump has a leak at the shaft seal/bearing. Instead of replacing the plate, I am looking at getting a new pentair VS pump.

My question is this, is it possible to replace both the pool pump and the booster pump with a single pump? I suspect not with the how the plumbing looks but hoping the smart people here will tell me otherwise.
    15k Gallon Freeform Inground Plaster
    Houston, Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 for 1?

If the booster pump is for a pressure cleaner then no you cannot replace both with one pump. The pressure side cleaners that use a booster require a low flow and high pressure which is only achievable with the booster pump.

And this is why I boosted pressure side cleaners are so inefficient since you need to have two pumps running at the same time. I would consider abandoning it and getting a robot or something maybe with a single vs pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I had a feeling that was the answer. I have wanted a robot for a while, but pretty sure the wife isn't going to go for that this year with cost of the new pump. Maybe I can swing it for next season.
    Houston, Texas

4. Back To Top    #4

How much is the new booster pump? If you don't get that, the robot might pay for itself almost. And buying just one Variable Speed pump will save you tons on electricity.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Booster pumps are just a few hundred dollars. I will probably just repair the one I have since it seems ok besides the small leak. I was really just trying to simplify the whole setup in one purchase.
    Houston, Texas