When can I put my solar cover on?

jkrupp

Aug 26, 2016
Roseville, CA
Hello, our new pool was just plastered and filled 9 days ago. We were supposed to be able to swim in it after 7 days, but the pool maintenance company that is balancing the water told us on Friday "it may not be ready by Monday, the Ph is still a little high". Well I haven't seen him yet, and no one has returned my calls. What I'm wondering is, can I put my solar cover on now? It is supposed to be 90 degrees tomorrow (Tuesday) and I'd love to use the pool if it is balanced by then! After Tuesday the outside temp will go back into the 70's so I have one chance this week :) Would the solar cover affect the chemicals? Thanks!

So the "solar" cover is kind of misnamed, as its primary function is to reduce evaporation. Putting it on during a nice calm sunny day like today may actually slow the heat absorbed by your pool. That wind storm the other day dropped our pool temp from 91 to 81 because we don't use a cover and it probably lowered your pool temp too.

Today and tomorrow should be nice 90+ days that will increase your temp and if your guy gives you the green light, putting your cover on this evening will certainly help retain any gains. I wouldn't expect any miracles, what is your temp now? Without any sort of heating, I would guess 2-3 degrees a day is what you will see on days like today and tomorrow.

Dont you you go wishing any nice 70's days away! We will have plenty of 100+ days :)

:goodpost:

That's right, a solar cover's real job is to slow overnight heat loss due to evaporative heat loss. A solar cover will also dramatically reduce out gassing at the pool surface which will slow pH rise.

I'm in the more 100° days camp, not less. :)

I'd ask the pool guy for the actual numbers, don't let him say "a little high", lol.
And I don't understand why a little high ph would keep you from swimming, unless it was really high.

Your sig says you have a test kit. I'd measure myself, and see what the numbers are.

Randy

Thanks everyone! So I really don't see that there is any disadvantage chemical-wise (or in any regards actually) to putting the cover on. I did call the pool company but have not heard back from them yet. I will definitely test myself, was just hoping to wait until he is all done before using up any of my regents (sp?) :)

Would almost rather take over myself right now; I probably could have balanced it over the weekend but oh well.

Thanks Captain, nice to have someone in the same area when questions arise! It is supposed to cool down after Tuesday (first time in my life I've been disappointed by that), and really want to get that cover on. Last week when it was 90 degrees for those two days the pool got up to 78 degrees without a cover on.

Good idea! I prefer to just hang out in the shallow end, and my kids are all very young, so maybe I will do the same with our cover!

The pool guy called me back and said they won't be out until Wednesday, so I tested myself.

Fc 3 (more like 4)
Tc 3 (more like 4)
Ph 7.2
CYA 30
Alk 40
Calcium Hardness 230 (weird, when I fill my hot tub it's always more like 110)

Some of the numbers seem off, but safe enough to swim right?

Yes, it is safe to swim when pH is 7.2 to 7.8, water is clear and FC is between minimum and shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

You are getting some calcium leeching from your plaster into the water. Add baking soda to raise TA to 60.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.