Water flow in and out of pump

dvp

May 7, 2016
OKC, OK
I've been browsing the forum and it seems like there may be some round about discussion about this issue, but not as head on as I think my issue may be.

I have had a problem with flow into my pump for awhile now, I figured all along it was a filter pressure issue and it may still be but I wanted to get some feedback on it.

When I start my pump regardless of filter PSI the water flow is always strong - I have a fountain that will have strong flow out of it and return lines are pumping out water as well. Over the course of a few hours both the level of water in my pump basket will drop, and my fountain will essentially decrease to a trickle.

I deep cleaned my filter on Saturday, and the starting pressure when I turned it on was 20 PSI, which is normal. At that point I had good water flow, as the pressure raised the water flow decreased.

However, there have been times when I have started my filter and the starting pressure would be 30 PSI and I would have good water flow, which would then decrease to bad water flow after a couple hours. Which makes me question if the filter issue is why I have bad water flow.

I still think it is likely the filter pressure is the culprit, but what else might explain the slowing water flow both into the pump and out of the pump? My water level seems good. My skimmer baskets are clear. I’m a bit confused at the moment.

The problem has nothing to do with your equipment but with your water quality. The filter is capturing debris from your water and clogging up. This causes pressure to rise and flow to drop.

The solution is to SLAM your pool and clear the water of this debris (most probably invisible algae)

What does your water look like?

Can you post your own test results?

I definitely have algae. I am hoping to be able to start slamming tonight but I had to get my PH down (>8 when I checked last night), and have to get my CYA up (not registering on my K-2006 test kit) which will ideally be ready to go this evening.

I still don't understand why the flow would be strong when I turn the pump on even at high filter psi?

I still don't understand why the flow would be strong when I turn the pump on even at high filter psi?
A faulty or unreliable gauge could very well be the issue....pretty common.

Nevertheless, you can bank on this.....if the flow is strong, your cartridge is unclogged and allowing water to pass. If the flow is weak, you have a blocked cartridge.

Once you SLAM you will need to clean that cartridge whenever it gets to 25% above clean psi......that will happen very frequently in the beginning of the SLAM process.

Wanted to circle back on this -

I deep cleaned my filter, but was not able to drain the water at the bottom of the filter. I am in the SLAM process and my pressure is rising very rapidly after each backwash. After a backwash my starting PSI is 20 and within an hour or two it is back up to 25-30.

Is it possible the water at the bottom of the filter could be contributing to the rise?

Actually it sounds like your filter and the slam are working as they are supposed to. The slam is killing algae and the filter is taking it out. With an algae problem a DE filter will plug very quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.