Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water flow in and out of pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Water flow in and out of pump

I've been browsing the forum and it seems like there may be some round about discussion about this issue, but not as head on as I think my issue may be.

I have had a problem with flow into my pump for awhile now, I figured all along it was a filter pressure issue and it may still be but I wanted to get some feedback on it.

When I start my pump regardless of filter PSI the water flow is always strong - I have a fountain that will have strong flow out of it and return lines are pumping out water as well. Over the course of a few hours both the level of water in my pump basket will drop, and my fountain will essentially decrease to a trickle.

I deep cleaned my filter on Saturday, and the starting pressure when I turned it on was 20 PSI, which is normal. At that point I had good water flow, as the pressure raised the water flow decreased.

However, there have been times when I have started my filter and the starting pressure would be 30 PSI and I would have good water flow, which would then decrease to bad water flow after a couple hours. Which makes me question if the filter issue is why I have bad water flow.

I still think it is likely the filter pressure is the culprit, but what else might explain the slowing water flow both into the pump and out of the pump? My water level seems good. My skimmer baskets are clear. Iím a bit confused at the moment.
    20 X 40 33k gallon igp, with vinyl liner. Pentair DE Filter. Jandy 2HP Pool Pump. Currently shopping for automatic pool cleaner...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water flow in and out of pump

What happens if you bypass the filter? Set the multi valve to recirculate.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure, I would have to check when I get home. I can rinse/backwash with no issue though.
    20 X 40 33k gallon igp, with vinyl liner. Pentair DE Filter. Jandy 2HP Pool Pump. Currently shopping for automatic pool cleaner...

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The problem has nothing to do with your equipment but with your water quality. The filter is capturing debris from your water and clogging up. This causes pressure to rise and flow to drop.

The solution is to SLAM your pool and clear the water of this debris (most probably invisible algae)

What does your water look like?

Can you post your own test results?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ah yes, I see you were also posting about algae elsewhere- simple clogged filter it likely is.

Post test results please!
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I definitely have algae. I am hoping to be able to start slamming tonight but I had to get my PH down (>8 when I checked last night), and have to get my CYA up (not registering on my K-2006 test kit) which will ideally be ready to go this evening.

I still don't understand why the flow would be strong when I turn the pump on even at high filter psi?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I still don't understand why the flow would be strong when I turn the pump on even at high filter psi?
    A faulty or unreliable gauge could very well be the issue....pretty common.

Nevertheless, you can bank on this.....if the flow is strong, your cartridge is unclogged and allowing water to pass. If the flow is weak, you have a blocked cartridge.

Once you SLAM you will need to clean that cartridge whenever it gets to 25% above clean psi......that will happen very frequently in the beginning of the SLAM process.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Wanted to circle back on this -

I deep cleaned my filter, but was not able to drain the water at the bottom of the filter. I am in the SLAM process and my pressure is rising very rapidly after each backwash. After a backwash my starting PSI is 20 and within an hour or two it is back up to 25-30.

Is it possible the water at the bottom of the filter could be contributing to the rise?

9. Back To Top    #9

Actually it sounds like your filter and the slam are working as they are supposed to. The slam is killing algae and the filter is taking it out. With an algae problem a DE filter will plug very quickly.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

The water left behind in the filter is likely not helping but I don't think it is statistically significant. A few gallons of very dirty water while visually stunning is nothing compared to 33,000 of hazy water with dead algae.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

11. Back To Top    #11

Alright thanks, I'll keep at it.

12. Back To Top    #12

Can you post a pic of the water and test results? (curious)

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    Can you post a pic of the water and test results? (curious)
    Yes, I will when I get home this evening.