Air bubbles coming from returns

Jun 21, 2009
We have just recently had a saltwater gunite pool installed and are newbies. I have done lots of reading on the site and learned a great deal. I do have what I think is an issue, but my pool installer didn't seem to sound concerned when I mentioned it. There is one return that is always streaming air bubbles when the pump is running. The next nearest return has some bubbles but much less than the other. The other returns show no signs of bubbles at all. After reading posts in one of the older forums, I'm worried that I may have a leak in a pipe leading to the pump and that future problems will be encountered. Can anyone tell me if I have a problem or not??

From what I can tell, you have an air leak someplace. I have a very similar problem and I tracked it down to my chlorinator lid. Actually, this is my second air leak. With the help of a coworker, he showed me how to do it. We took duct tape and tape all the places where air could get in. Once the air bubbles quit coming out, it was simply a process of removing each piece of tape until the bubbles came back out again.

Some of the veterans here might shed some more insight.

Do you see air in the pump basket? If so, then it could be a suction side air leak. Typical causes are the pump lid seal, drain plugs and valves.

I assume that they pressure tested the plumbing so it probably isn't in the pipes.

I turned off the chlorinator and bubbles were still appearing just as much. I checked the pump basket, and I do see bubbles. My pool installer is coming by tomorrow and am going to point all of this out to him. Any other advice is welcomed. My biggest fear is that the leak would be in the pipe buried underground as we have installed a deck around that part of the pool. Thanks for all the feedback.

If they had performed a pressure test of the plumbing, then it probably isn't the pipe. Like I said before, it is usually the pump basket lid, drain plugs or valves. While the pump is running use a hose to pour water over each area and see if the bubbles go away.

Hose method didn't work well in my case, but I did manage to find a leak when we were cleaning the filter another day. We are going to fix that soon and see if the bubbles cease. Thanks for all the input.

_scouter_ said:
Hose method didn't work well in my case, but I did manage to find a leak when we were cleaning the filter another day. We are going to fix that soon and see if the bubbles cease. Thanks for all the input.

If the leak is around the filter then that is a pressure side leak and would not be the cause of the bubbles. If there is air in the pump basket it is either a suction side leak or cavitation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.