Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting our ducks in a row

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting our ducks in a row

I posted an introduction in the intro section so I won't go into detail about the woes of buying a house with a pool. In short, the necessary repairs were made and the pool filled. We've been monitoring chlorine but with store bought testing strips only. I've placed my order for a TF-100 Test Kit with Speedstir Magnetic stirrer. I've been to Pool School and I'm still studying. Tonight I downloaded the Android version of Pool Math so I'll be ready when my test kit arrives. The pool looks good right now and if we can keep it looking like this for a few more days until the test kit arrives then I think we'll be able to take advantage of the information I've found here in the week that I've been a member. I'm certain that I will be plaguing everyone with questions when we finally have data to consider. Until then, here is a picture of our pool/backyard and a close up of the water which I think looks pretty good for not completely knowing what we're doing. -Julie

20170507_215136.jpg

20170507_160955.jpg
    24k 17' x 36' IG Vinyl-lined, Grecian, salt water pool
    1 hp Hayward Superpump; 250 lb S244 T Sand Filter
    Jandy ProLink 1400 SWG; TF100 Test
    Dolphin A30i Robot named MerA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting our ducks in a row

Very pretty!! I love the way dark chain link fencing disappears from sight when used. Beautiful backyard and home too.

How are you chlorinating it now? Do you plan on using bleach from now on, or perhaps a salt water chlorine generator?

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Beautiful pool...do you know how many gallons it is?
    7000k Viking fiberglass Bermuda, Sand filter w/glass, Pentair SuperfloVS, Pentair IC20 swg
    Raypak 106k, Dolphin s-200, Taylor k-2006c, Taylor k-1766, Speedstir, Little Giant cover pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, Maddie. We are currently adding one or two gallons of chlorine a day just to try to keep it stable until the testing kit arrives. We aren't adding anything else at this time. My kit is expected to arrive tomorrow so I'll get my first set of data tomorrow when I get home, probably around 8 pm.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrodav View Post
    Beautiful pool...do you know how many gallons it is?
    $250.00 worth of water
    24K, I believe. The pool has a very limited shallow (3') area and drops off fast to 8' so it might hold more than that.

6. Back To Top    #6

You're going to have so much fun with your Junior Scientist Playset!

Save yourself some potential worry and wipe the tip of the R-009 reagent with a damp paper towel right before you start counting drops. The why is explained in Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions If any of the other tests seem weird, that's the place to start looking for answers. And while I remember..... if you test FC and it's above 10, your pH will read falsely high, so don't try to lower it. And if FC is way high the TA test will go blue>yellow instead of green>pink but the result is still valid.

You're starting with clear water so you should be dialed-in in no time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You're going to have so much fun with your Junior Scientist Playset!

You don't know the half of it. Hello, my name is Julie and I'm a dataholic. I love analyzing data and then color-coding it. Oh my!