Wiring with a Variable Speed pump

Jan 12, 2011
Bel Air, MD
The pool installer who installed our chlorinator installed it to our main power box that has a timer that we dont use at all. We have a variable speed pump which has its own timer on it. The problem is now I have to leave the chlorinator on all the time and when my pump is not running I get a red light that says "no flow". Was the installer supposed to hook up the power from the chlorinator to our variable speed pump? Is this possible? Because he installed it directly to our main power box thus it needing to be on all the time.

It's a know problem without a good solution. You can run the pump continuously at low speed.

You can put the SWG on a timer that runs when the pump is on.

You can install a relay that's activated by flow or current.

Manufacturers prefer that you buy their automation, but that's not realistic for many people.

They need to include an auxiliary load relay in the pump or make the pump and SWG communicate.

If a manufacturer would do that, they would have a huge selling point.

P,

Your pump gets constant 220 volt power, or at least it is supposed to get constant power. The pump itself cannot control the SWCG.

Your options are what JamesW outlined in his post above.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
P,

Your timer should not be controlling the pump... Are your sure the electrician is not just taking power from the input side of the timer to run the pump?

Show us a pic of the inside of the timer.. I "suspect" the output side of your timer is not hooked to anything.

Jim R.

80523922685a2a02ffab2ac99c31e9bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P,

Ok, if you notice you have no lugs on the timer. It is basically on all the time.

Can you find the lugs that trip the timer on/off?

I need a pic with the plastic cover removed..

Am I correct that the pump was wired before and is not wired into the timer at all??? All the electrician did was install the new SWCG???

Jim R.

So I noticed that the timer turns off my variable speed pump as well. I don't think that's the way it should be the pump should be on all the time and this timer should just control my swg correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.