Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Muriatic Acid Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Muriatic Acid Question

I'm testing with a Taylor K2006. After today's pH test I landed at roughly 7.9. It took roughly 2 drops of reagent to get the pool back to the range I'd like. I'm curious about how to read this chart, though:

I feel like these amounts are for the pre-diluted compound of muriatic acid and water, but I just want to be sure. Are the amounts listed in the table the total amount of muriatic acid I should dilute, or is that the total amount I should add of the pre-diluted solution?

For example, let's say I have a 5,000 gallon pool and it took 2 drops of reagent to get back into ideal range-- do I need to dilute 9.16 FL oz of muriatic acid? Or do I need to create a diluted mixture of muriatic acid with water and then add 9.16 FL oz of that compound into my pool?

This forum has helped me get up to speed quicker than I hadever imagined as a new pool owner. Thanks as always for any guidance you all can provide.

8,300 gal, IG fiberglass, sand filter, Taylor Technologies 2006, AutoPilot Nanodigital SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Muriatic Acid Question

That should just be for straight acid out of the bottle. It says 20 baume/ 31.45% HCI, which is full strength muriatic acid. So, for 5000 gallons, just measure 9 to 10 ounces of acid in a measuring cup and pour it in front of a return that is running.
    Pool size: 20,000 Gallon Plaster Pool, Pump: Hayward Tristar VS SP3202VSP, Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320
    Polaris 280 Pressure side cleaner, Solar cover, Pentair Amerilite LED pool light, Taylor K-2006C test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Adding Muriatic Acid Question

Yes, but make sure that's the % of acid you are using. if you have 14.5% MA, like I do, you will need to add more than what it says.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Adding Muriatic Acid Question

Quote Originally Posted by DeanP66 View Post
    That should just be for straight acid out of the bottle. It says 20 baume/ 31.45% HCI, which is full strength muriatic acid. So, for 5000 gallons, just measure 9 to 10 ounces of acid in a measuring cup and pour it in front of a return that is running.
    Good call, thanks for pointing out the table title lol. I saw a lot of people mentioning diluting MA and I think that threw me off. Thanks for the assist, much appreciated!

8,300 gal, IG fiberglass, sand filter, Taylor Technologies 2006, AutoPilot Nanodigital SWG