algea control with bbb

So whether a person uses liqiud chlorine or trichlor as a primary sanitizer and this keeps the water at the proper levels then my question is did i really have to use algeacide at all?Or was this just another added expense?Still learning.

So then,i should only use an algeacide if i have an algea situation out of control rather than just a preventative measure.I am ready to switch to bleach and i am already using borax to control my ph.Up until now i have been adding a maintenance dose of algeacide every week,something i do not need to do i think.still learning.

If you're using trichlor then there's a pretty good chance your CYA level is 100 or higher, and in that case you do want to use a maintenance/preventative dose of algaecide. Do you know what your CYA level is?

Word is that algaecide is a reasonable preventative but not much use if the algae is already in full bloom. Which kinda makes you wonder why they call it an algaeCIDE but that's a different topic.
--paulr

I don't recommend using an algaecide unless you know that you are going to be missing days of taking care of the pool occasionally. As long as you maintain the correct FC levels, algaecide isn't needed. One of the BBB principals is to never add things to the pool unless they are really needed. For most people most of the time algaecide isn't needed.

O.k thats what i needed to know,algeacide should not be added unless needed.I use the taylor fas-dpd from leslies.My numbers last night
fc 4.5
cc .2
ph 7.4
ta 100
cya 85
I am about to convert to the bbb method,i have already been using borax and should use less once i switch to bleach.The trichlor has always brought my ph down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.