Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine In Spa?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine In Spa?

Can liquid chlorine be used in spa? It seems most prefer the tablets? Why? I have an anove ground pool and a jacuzzi. I was curious if i could buy one used for both...
    Bestway AG Vinyl Oval
    18' x 9' x 48" ~ 3,548 Gallons
    Sand Filter & Solar Heater
    Elite Spa 86" x 87" ~ 350 Gallons
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Chlorine In Spa?

Absolutely! I maintain mine with bleach and it works very well.

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

I usually fill my hot tub right from the pool, that way the water starts out balanced from the beginning. If filling with fresh water you can use dichlor for the first week or so then switch to bleach as the CYA level comes up to where you want it. I monitor CYA a little more closely in the hot tub, testing every couple weeks. The pool rarely changes but I have had it drop off in the hot tub. If I need to add a bit I just chlorinate with dichlor for a day or two and then back to bleach. Everything works just like the pool, it just takes very small amounts.

After each use (usually 2 people for a half hour) I add 2 ounces of bleach, if you have more people in or go for a longer time it will take a little more.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The guy at Leslie's was telling that granulated chlorine is better for Spas because of the high temp, liquid chlorine will not last as longand therefore costing you more money? Is this accurate? I have an above ground Bestway and an Elite Spas jacuzzi.
    Bestway AG Vinyl Oval
    18' x 9' x 48" ~ 3,548 Gallons
    Sand Filter & Solar Heater
    Elite Spa 86" x 87" ~ 350 Gallons
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

We have a saying here: "If the guy at Leslie's said it, it probably isn't true."
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jake69chevy View Post
    The guy at Leslie's says blah blah blah
    Pool store tip: You can easily tell when they are full of it, just look to see if their lips are moving!
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Whose trying to sell you something, us or Leslie's??

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

7. Back To Top    #7

This helps a lot. What brand dichlor do you buy and from where?