Intex pump and hose set up...lots of little problems

Amarada3

Bronze Supporter
May 27, 2014
Jackson, TN
We have an intex 52" by 18 foot Ultra frame pool with sand filter and pump model SF801110. We leave it up year round, but winterize by removing hoses, reducing water and covering like TFP recommends for permanent above grounds. We have had it for 3 years. Most winters we take the sand filter and pump inside, but this winter we took the hoses and shutoff valves inside, but left the pump and sand filter out. we drained both and covered them up. We live in the south and had a mild winter. Every year when we re-open, we curse the cheap chinese plastic parts! This year we are particularly bugged by tiny leaks in the hose system. We lube up o-rings with vaseline and we attempt to tighten, but not overtighten. This year the pump would ot start, I took off the side housing and spin the impeller and it seemed to get going again.
1. I have one valve that still has a very tiny drip, one from the shut off assembly and one from the connection to the intake. I think I can live with them as they give maybe a drip each an hour, but any further ideas to fix?? Now to the 2 bigger problems:
2. the pressure valve on the sand filter has always read high (starts at high end of green shut off- goes to yellow on) but this year is it in red when OFF! Anyone ever replace one of these? any luck with it?
3. I have algae in the glass bulb on the filter. any way to clean it out?
4. When I vacuum, the suction drops noticeably. I am about to do a deep clean on my sand filter, will that help?? I checked the vacuum hoses as best I could, blew them out with water, etc.
Any help would be appreciated. I don't know what the lifetimes of these pumps and pools are, so I'm reluctant to put a lot of money in if I will be purchasing new next year. (I am delighted with this pool so far, though!)

We have an intex 52" by 18 foot Ultra frame pool with sand filter and pump model SF801110. We leave it up year round, but winterize by removing hoses, reducing water and covering like TFP recommends for permanent above grounds. We have had it for 3 years. Most winters we take the sand filter and pump inside, but this winter we took the hoses and shutoff valves inside, but left the pump and sand filter out. we drained both and covered them up. We live in the south and had a mild winter. Every year when we re-open, we curse the cheap chinese plastic parts! This year we are particularly bugged by tiny leaks in the hose system. We lube up o-rings with vaseline and we attempt to tighten, but not overtighten. This year the pump would ot start, I took off the side housing and spin the impeller and it seemed to get going again.
1. I have one valve that still has a very tiny drip, one from the shut off assembly and one from the connection to the intake. I think I can live with them as they give maybe a drip each an hour, but any further ideas to fix?? Now to the 2 bigger problems:
2. the pressure valve on the sand filter has always read high (starts at high end of green shut off- goes to yellow on) but this year is it in red when OFF! Anyone ever replace one of these? any luck with it?
3. I have algae in the glass bulb on the filter. any way to clean it out?
4. When I vacuum, the suction drops noticeably. I am about to do a deep clean on my sand filter, will that help?? I checked the vacuum hoses as best I could, blew them out with water, etc.
Any help would be appreciated. I don't know what the lifetimes of these pumps and pools are, so I'm reluctant to put a lot of money in if I will be purchasing new next year. (I am delighted with this pool so far, though!)
1. I've had good luck with the Intex hoses & connectors. Maybe try using new gaskets?
2. It's super easy to change the gauge. I Highly recommend this one from TF Test Kits. You will need a brass reducer fitting to adapt the larger gauge threads to the smaller opening in the filter, just bring both gauges to the nearest Home Improvement store and explain the swap, I'm sure you'll get the right help.
3. Not that I know of, I never tried to remove it from the MPV for fear of breaking it.
4. The SF801110 is really too small for that pool, I'm not surprised of your vacuuming issues. Are you using the caps for the vacuum breakers on the valves? I had the SF701110 2150GPH (next larger one) and vacuuming was OK, but I had to go very slow. Big difference now with the Hayward system (see my signature).

I love my Intex, and I've used the past few seasons to upgrade my equipment to support a hard-walled pool when this one finally lets go. All I'm going to need is the pool & liner!

A petroleum based lubricant like Vasoline will actually cause your o-rings to deteriorate faster. You should use a lubricant designed for rubber instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.