Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where do you buy large quantities of baking soda in Canada?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where do you buy large quantities of baking soda in Canada?

Baking soda is the chemical that we use to raise the TA rather than spending a lot of money on chemicals from the pool store. But where do you buy baking soda by the kilo in Canada? Buying it in 0.5kg boxes at the supermarket isn't any cheaper than the pool shop. There is a listing on Amazon that sells it in a 12lb bag for $15 but shipping is $35 so that makes no sense.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where do you buy large quantities of baking soda in Canada?

Costco? Home Depot? Lowes?

18000 IG, SWG, 1/2 HP Tri Star + Solar PV direct DC Lorentz pump, Sand filtrt
    20000 gallon, Vinyl liner IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

3. Back To Top    #3

W,

What is your current TA number? Most people want their TA to go lower?? Where are you now, and what are you shooting for?

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

TA is 40 and my pool is vinyl with SWCG so recommendation is 60-80. My spa also often needs TA.

Lowe's and Home Depot Canada website searches for baking soda come up with no relevant results.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

5. Back To Top    #5

W,

40 is a lot lower than I thought you were going to say... I see the problem now, thanks for the response.

I would bring it up to 50 and see how your pH reacts. If stable, I would just leave it there. A lot people run in the 50's..

Sorry, no help with the baking soda, but I could ship you some of my high TA water if you want...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

How often do you come to the States? Walmart sells 12 lb bags for under $8. Maybe next time you're in Niagra Falls NY or Buffalo NY, you can stock up.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

7. Back To Top    #7

Where do you buy large quantities of baking soda in Canada?

I bought a 22.68KG bag from a baking store $29.10 no tax. The store is Grain Process Enterprises Ltd. It's located in Scarborough near McCowan rd and huntingwood blvd.

Worked out to be cheaper than Costco.

16'x36' Vinyl IG; 80,000L; Bromine
    Hayward EzFlow 1HP Pump Pentair SuperFlo VS ; SandMaster SM203T Sand Filter; Hayward Chlorine Feeder; Jandy Legacy LZR Heater
    Hayward Aquavac, Mesh Safety Cover; Taylor K2106

8. Back To Top    #8

Costco should have it in the baking/spice/oil aisle. Huge bag, cheap. just because it's not "online" doesn't mean they don't carry it. I would call store to confirm.
    33,000 gal IG plaster 38x18, chlorine,with spa spillover to pool, built 1999, 4 Cartridge filter, Nat Gas Heater, 100% in sun all day-TK-2006 and Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by adeleincali View Post
    Costco should have it in the baking/spice/oil aisle. Huge bag, cheap. just because it's not "online" doesn't mean they don't carry it. I would call store to confirm.
    I usually find it at the Dollar store for $1 per 500g box.
    22K gal, IG, vinyl liner
    Hayward Sand Filter (model 244T)
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Lite2 NG Heater
    Zodiac G3 cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

Try animal feed stores.