need some chem advice please

May 12, 2009
Well,here are my numbers
fc 4.5
cc .2
ph 7.4
cya 85
I am still using up the last 4 or 5 lbs of trichlor (3" tablets) because i did not want to waste them.I would like to switch over to bleach when they are gone.This i am guessing is the main cause for the high cya reading.My question is should i switch now before the cya goes too high ?
This is the first time i have checked it,and have been using the tablets for 2 seasons now.My pool is an 18' x 33' above ground ,15,000 gallons.

I would stop using the tablets and save them for vacation or next year if your CYA is low after opening.

Your FC is on the low end with your CYA being 85. The lowest it should be is 6 with your high CYA as it stands. You may be better off draining a bit or if you don't mind adding a bit more chlorine, waiting for splash out ect by adding more water.

Have you read up on Pool School yet? :wink: You should check it out.

You don't list your pool specs and equipment. If you have a sand filter, it will slowly lower thru backwashing/water replacement. Otherwise you should drain a little out to lower the level, at least to 60 that will be more manageable.

Maintain your FC levels according to the CYA/Chlorine chart. Add enough bleach/liquid chlorine each nite to keep your FC above the minimum, and use the "target" as your goal when you are determining how much to add.

Best to put it in your "signature." In the upper left of this page under the big TFP logo you'll see "User Control Panel." Click on that, then in Options, click Profile, then Edit Signature. You're allowed 5 lines.
--paulr

Me too (cart/24-7).

I started on TFP in May 2007 and my CYA was over 100. I did 2 partial drains, about 1/3 down each time. Got my CYA down to 70 and kept it there the rest of the summer. Then the following May I did another partial drain and got the level down to 50.

I had to add CYA this year. We had sooo much rain last fall and this spring that my levels dissappeared below 20.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.