Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing before slamming

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing before slamming

My first post. I've learned a lot from this superb site. I had a dark green pool when I opened it. I already put 21# of shock powder and 5 gal. of liquid shock in my pool. This work great last year. The pool is now light green. Taylor K2006 FAS-DPD measurements now are FC 2.0, CC 3.0, PH between 7.0 & 7.2, TA 50, CH 150, CYA 0. The Pool Math calculator says to be careful if the CYA is truly zero. I have four 3" tabs in a floating chlorinator; have been using 3" tabs for about 20 years (but will use bleach from now on). I'd appreciate any advice before I add anything or buy more liquid bleach to shock it. Thanks, Doug
    Vinyl in-ground pool, 17'x37' with shallow end stairs, approx. 25,000 gallons. installed 1984. New in 2016: Taylor 200 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus cleaner, two Jandy Pro 1 1/2" - 2" two port valves and Hayward 1 hp SP2607x10 pump. Deep end outlet plugged due to undergound leak, but flow appears adequate with bottom and skimmer inlets and low end outlet. Filter pressure normally 22 psi. Use Taylor K2006 test kit (new 6/18).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balancing before slamming

Welcome. I'd yank the pucks and add plain granular CYA to get there quickly dissolved in a sock in the skimmer. Raise CYA to 30 and SLAM value of FC for that.
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks - will do. I haven't used granular CYA - will have to go to dreaded Leslies. Is there a special sock for this, or will any old sock do. Anyone want to buy 3" tabs and a one year old chlorinator - really cheap? Will trade for some Liquor Chiller!
    Vinyl in-ground pool, 17'x37' with shallow end stairs, approx. 25,000 gallons. installed 1984. New in 2016: Taylor 200 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus cleaner, two Jandy Pro 1 1/2" - 2" two port valves and Hayward 1 hp SP2607x10 pump. Deep end outlet plugged due to undergound leak, but flow appears adequate with bottom and skimmer inlets and low end outlet. Filter pressure normally 22 psi. Use Taylor K2006 test kit (new 6/18).

4. Back To Top    #4

Go to good old Walmart instead! Save the pucks for out of town times this summer. Kept dry, they don't go bad.
    (Liquor Chiller NOT for sale or trade!)

Sock or kneehi stocking with a knot tied in it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks so much. I had a 4# bottle of granular CYA, so will add it in an old sock (or two if one isn't big enough). Pool Math said I need 100oz (about 6#), so will buy more later. Appreciate your suggestion about 3" pucks too.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

+1 what woodyp suggests.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks - really appreciate it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Learned that putting Stabilizer in an old sock is difficult and takes about three days to dissipate 2# in the skimmer. A sock made for skimmers is much better; 2# dissipated in one day. Also found that stretching the sock over a funnel was much easier than trying to hold the sock open while poring the powder. Thankfully I had rubber gloves and eye protection on, but my forearms were red afterward. Cya increased from 0 to 50.
    Put in 1# PH+, then the next day I added 4 gal. 12% Mega Shock. Readings before shocking were PH 7.1, TC 2, FC 0, TA 40, CYA 50, TH 150. The next day they were FC 8, CC 1.0. Added 3 gal. more shock, resulting in FC 19, CC 1. The next morning I read FC 13.5, CC 1.5, so am going to add 2 gal. shock to increase FC above 20 (per the excellent PoolMath calculator). Brushed several times a day and using Dolphin robot to remove a few remaining leaves. Water still green, but improving.
    Does anyone know how I can change my posting name??
    Last edited by oldmanriver; 05-12-2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Add comment

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm still in the slamming process. Leaves seem to gone finally. Backwashing with added DE powder to sand filter several times a day. Dolphin Nautilus not getting much, but is brushing the pool. Pump 24x7. Can finally see bottom. Today's readings FC 16 and CC 1.0, so added another gallon of 12.5% shock and manually brushed. Added 16 gallons shock since 5/10/17. FC typically drops from 24 to 20 overnight. Any further suggestions, or should I just continue patiently?