Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: vermiculite screed coat mix design

1. Back To Top    #1

vermiculite screed coat mix design

I am building my 18x36 in groud pool and had a question regarding the 2" screed coat on the bottom. I think that I want to mix my own rather than purchase pre-mixed bags of screed mix. I have seen that there are two real options with the first being cement + vermiculite, and the second cement+vermiculite+mason sand. I think I like the latter mix better as it will tend to thin out the vermiculite and cure a bit harder. Does anyone know the mix proportions for the cement+vermiculite+mason sand screed bottom? I believe I should be looking for the medium vermiculite, correct?

Thanks,
    Mark O'C

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: vermiculite screed coat mix design

Hi, Mark,

I'm posting to bump your post back up. I used only vermiculite and cement so I'm no help.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine was all a cement mix. No stone, very heavy grout type mix. Concrete company poured it, PB's guys troweled it. No help here either. sorry.

My opinion having seen vermiculite, sand, concrete, i would do the concrete/grout type bottom. But, i'm sure there are opposing opinions.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

I guess it all depends on how much you like the liner. Sand and cement will wear on the liner more quickly and also not let water pass through it as well as the vermiculite mix.

It's your choice, but I'd stick with just the vermiculite
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)