Fine tuning with a k2006 now

May 7, 2017
Mobile, alabama
I'm a new pool owner this year. Water has been great so far. After reading I felt uneasy testing with strips only. I got some different results with the new kit in hand. My setup is 22000 gallon in ground vinyl salt water pool. Yesterday my readings were:
PH 7.8
TA 80
CYA 40
CH 110
FC 4
CC 0
Saturation index -1.6

I added (with use of the calculator)
16 oz dry acid
83 oz baking soda

Today I tested:
PH 7.6
TA 90

I expected closer to my target numbers. Should I do more of the same? I am worried about over treating this thing that has been good so far. Also, I'm a little confused about the aerating talk. We have bubblers and deck jets that, I'm guessing are doing a little aeration. Should I mess with it further? And one more question; being that it is a vinyl pool, with a concrete cantilevered coping, so I need to have more CH? Thanks for any help and advise offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. Are you dyed in the wool doggone sure about your 22k gallons? And you're probably not used to testing your water THAT accurately as you have been.

22k is what the pool people told me. I just did the math and it might be 21k, but pretty close. And I am new to doing accurate testing, maybe I'm obsessing about it a little too much. Just trying to get her dialed in now that I know what I'm looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont understand your addition of Baking Soda? You added acid that lowered your PH and TA then you added BS to raise the TA to 90. If you are trying to lower your TA to 60-80 add the acid to get a PH of 7.2 and aerate. That should knock your TA down and bring the PH back up to where you want it.

Las,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all 'new to testing" pool owners... :shark:

With a pH of 7.8 and a TA of 80 you really did not need to do a thing...

Saltwater pools tend to have higher pH, so 7.8 is good. I would not add anything until the pH goes over 7.8. and then I would only drop it down to 7.6 or so. Unless your TA dips into the 50's I would also not try to increase it at all. Lower TA might help your pH to stabilize.

CYA for a salt water pool should be in the 70 to 80 range. 50 will work, but it will mean that your SWCG will have to produce more chlorine, because the sun will burn it off faster.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.