Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fine tuning with a k2006 now

1. Back To Top    #1

Fine tuning with a k2006 now

I'm a new pool owner this year. Water has been great so far. After reading I felt uneasy testing with strips only. I got some different results with the new kit in hand. My setup is 22000 gallon in ground vinyl salt water pool. Yesterday my readings were:
    PH 7.8
    TA 80
    CYA 40
    CH 110
    FC 4
    CC 0
    Saturation index -1.6

I added (with use of the calculator)
    16 oz dry acid
    83 oz baking soda

Today I tested:
    PH 7.6
    TA 90

I expected closer to my target numbers. Should I do more of the same? I am worried about over treating this thing that has been good so far. Also, I'm a little confused about the aerating talk. We have bubblers and deck jets that, I'm guessing are doing a little aeration. Should I mess with it further? And one more question; being that it is a vinyl pool, with a concrete cantilevered coping, so I need to have more CH? Thanks for any help and advise offered.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fine tuning with a k2006 now

Welcome to the forum. Are you dyed in the wool doggone sure about your 22k gallons? And you're probably not used to testing your water THAT accurately as you have been.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

22k is what the pool people told me. I just did the math and it might be 21k, but pretty close. And I am new to doing accurate testing, maybe I'm obsessing about it a little too much. Just trying to get her dialed in now that I know what I'm looking at.

4. Back To Top    #4

I dont understand your addition of Baking Soda? You added acid that lowered your PH and TA then you added BS to raise the TA to 90. If you are trying to lower your TA to 60-80 add the acid to get a PH of 7.2 and aerate. That should knock your TA down and bring the PH back up to where you want it.
    7000k Viking fiberglass Bermuda, Sand filter w/glass, Pentair SuperfloVS, Pentair IC20 swg
    Raypak 106k, Dolphin s-200, Taylor k-2006c, Taylor k-1766, Speedstir, Little Giant cover pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Las,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all 'new to testing" pool owners...

With a pH of 7.8 and a TA of 80 you really did not need to do a thing...

Saltwater pools tend to have higher pH, so 7.8 is good. I would not add anything until the pH goes over 7.8. and then I would only drop it down to 7.6 or so. Unless your TA dips into the 50's I would also not try to increase it at all. Lower TA might help your pH to stabilize.

CYA for a salt water pool should be in the 70 to 80 range. 50 will work, but it will mean that your SWCG will have to produce more chlorine, because the sun will burn it off faster.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

I was trying to lower my PH (adding acid) to 7.4, and raise my TA to 100 (adding BS). I thought 7.8 was a little too high, and 80 was a little low.

7. Back To Top    #7

The numbers for SWG are slightly tweaked. TA for us is 60-80. Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825