Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Started Conversion on Sunday

1. Back To Top    #1

Started Conversion on Sunday

Well, I'm converting from a baquicil to chlorine, using the great resources and guidance here at TFP.

I drained the pool to about 8-12 inches depth and refilled, finally getting it up to filter depth on Sunday. Added the first batch of bleach Sunday evening, shocked again this morning, this afternoon, and this evening. BQ is reading 0 using their test strips. I haven't seen any of the pretty colors that people talk about--water is just quite cloudy at the moment. I'm having a simultanous filter problem that is probably acting as a confounding variable in this whole process. Im ordering my TF100 this evening, so all of these reading are from test strips:

I added bleach at noon, and tested when I got home from work at 6, and read FC between 1 and 3 (pool does not get a lot of sun).

Added two gallons of bleach to get total up to around 15 at 6 PM. Just took a test five minutes ago (9:30 PM) and got these readings:

TC=10 (max strip reading)
    FC=10 (max strip reading)
    TA=120
    PH=8.4 (although that actaully read low, around 6.8, before I added the bleach)

I'll test again in the AM, and see what I see. I can't wait to offer my remaning BQ chemicals on Craigslist.

One question. I've got a bunch of BQ PH increaser and decreaser, that says it's safe for chlorine pools--does that sound right?

Thanks again for this great site, and your advice.
    Oval, AG, 10,000 Gallons, Vinyl
    Aqua Star 150 lb Sand Filter (55 GPM Max--in theory)
    Waterway Hi-Flo (HP 1.5 SPL)
    7-Port multi-valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Started Conversion on Sunday

Yes, the Baquacil brand of PH increaser and PH reducer are fine. Don't believe the PH reading when the FC level is high. At some point when FC is below 5, test and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.4.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Jason.

Took test strip reading this morning (can't wait for the TF100 to arrive). TC was around 5, with FC still around 10, though perhaps the little test strip pad was slightly less emphatically purple than it was at last night's reading. Hopefully I can get my filter problem solved, and maybe I will have turned the corner on this process. I'll try take a picture tonight and post.
    Oval, AG, 10,000 Gallons, Vinyl
    Aqua Star 150 lb Sand Filter (55 GPM Max--in theory)
    Waterway Hi-Flo (HP 1.5 SPL)
    7-Port multi-valve

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ntvinh986
    Hi all!
    I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum, ntinh986!

EDIT Target of this e-mail removed, so please ignore! thanks END-EDIT
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ihatemypool

I drained the pool to about 8-12 inches depth and refilled, finally getting it up to filter depth on Sunday. Added the first batch of bleach Sunday evening, shocked again this morning, this afternoon, and this evening.
    Your conversion shouldn't take too long, & you might not see all the "pretty colors". There isn't much baqua-goo left, since you diluted your old water with a lot of new.

I converted without draining ANY water. The browns and greens were nice. Nicer after they were all gone!!!
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Congrats on the switch! You have definitely made the right choice.
    24' Round AGP | 13,600 Gallons | Waterway Cartridge Filter | Waterway 2 Speed Pump | K-2006 Test Kit
    100% Trouble Free Since The Baqua Conversion