Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My head is swimming!

1. Back To Top    #1

My head is swimming!

I'm looking to add a SWG and a variable speed or variable flow pump to my 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool.
    I currently have a 1hp single speed pump with 2" lines, 2 skimmers, 1 floor drain, 3 floor returns and 4 wall returns, gas heater and Polaris 280 w/booster pump, Sta-Rite cartridge filter with 100GPM capacity, filter, heater and Polaris are controlled by a pair if Intermatic mechanical time clocks.

My questions are:
    is a Sta-Rite 3hp VS pump OK, or too big?
    Is Variable flow preferred over variable speed?
    I like the Pentair Intellichlor IC40, but am concerned that I'd need to also get the Easytouch automation to control it in smaller increments.

I can rewire and replumb as needed, just need some guidance from the experts.
    2002 White Plaster Gunite pool, 20k gallons, Sta-Rite System3 Cartridge filter, Sta-Rite Intellipro 2VST 3 HP VS pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 Chlorine Generator, Raypac RP2100 digital 400k nat gas heater, Active 30i robot cleaner, (Polaris 280 booster pump still in place for leaf removal after storms) Exposed aggregate cantilever deck, Intermatic mechanical timers for pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My head is swimming!

"I like the Pentair Intellichlor IC40, but am concerned that I'd need to also get the Easytouch automation to control it in smaller increments."

Full disclosure, I am not an expert, but...lots of folks run their SWG at 100% and control the output by how long the pump runs (no need for the Easytouch). If you wanted, the Pentair can be adjusted in 20% increments which is more than adequate.
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

3. Back To Top    #3

My questions are:
    is a Sta-Rite 3hp VS pump OK, or too big?
    Are you having any issues now with the 1 hp moving water not enough to suit your needs? Why the jump to 3.0?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

G,

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a Variable Speed Pump that is too big. They really should be called Variable HP pumps.. You basically select the HP that suits your particular situation. When generating chlorine with a SWCG, you can set your HP (speed) at some fraction of a HP.. When running your waterfall, you can select more HP to increase the flow to where it looks just right or maybe reduce the HP so it just trickles. This is the great advantage of having a large variable speed pump. Of course this comes with the great disadvantage of the initial cost...

I would stay away from the variable flow pumps as they have not been received as well as the variable speed pumps.

As pointed out by Philo, many people here manage their SWCGs by pump run time.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.