Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH is a little high. How should I lower?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH is a little high. How should I lower?

Here are my current readings.

FC: 5.5
    PH: 7.5
    TA: 120
    CH: 450
    Salt: 3400

Should I do some water replacement or is it close enough that with summer and the weekly evaporation/top off regiment, will it work itself out?
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH is a little high. How should I lower?

Evaporation and topoff won't lower CH, it will raise it.

450 CH is out of the ideal range, but it's not all that difficult to keep it maintained. Above 800 CH. my experience has been that it starts getting difficult to keep CSI in range, but you're a long way from that.

If you do decide to drain and refill to lower CH, remember that you'll be lowering salt and CYA by the same amount.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

So there really is no "good" way to lower CH other than a partial drain and refill? If the evap/refill just raises it, I am guessing that a partial drain and refill is in order every 2-3 years or so.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerWing View Post
    So there really is no "good" way to lower CH other than a partial drain and refill? If the evap/refill just raises it, I am guessing that a partial drain and refill is in order every 2-3 years or so.
    Maybe. Depends on rain and snow. They have no CH. If you drain off half the water to winterize and open top a full pool, your CH will be half what it was in the Fall.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!