Can't get my cholorine up.

Apr 25, 2008
No matter what I do I can't get my FC or CH up. When I 1st started up the unit for our 2nd season for the first week or so it said check flow. I called autopilot and they gave a work order number for service ($30). It took me two weeks of calling to finally get the service guy out and he knew less about than I did (message had stopped by then anyway). He tested my water and said I was low on CYA. I agree I was a little low, so i accepted his answer. Three weeks later and I just finished running my pump in boost for 24 hours and still no CH or FC. I took a sample to the local pool store two weeks ago and my water was fine. My PH was little high and they confirmed I had very little Cholorine in the water. I dropped it with Muratic Acid and added shock . The cholorine came up for a few days and went back. Just finished running my pump in boost for 24 hours and still no cholorine. The cell looks fine.

I have a gunite pool with @ 19,000 gallons.
Auto Pilot DIGI-220 with SC-48 cell running power level 2 at 68%.
My readings are:
Total hardness= 250
Total Chlorine=0 to .5
Free Cholorine=0
Ph=7.8
total alkalinity=80
Cya=30-50
Please help. I checked the cell and it looks fine. This is only my second season to use it.
I am pulling correct amps (confirmed by service guy) and my salt is around 3200ppm
Thanks Mike

Welcome to TFP!

You need to shock the pool with chlorine from somewhere other than the SWG, I suggest bleach, until you can hold the same FC level overnight. Then raise the CYA level up to between 70 and 80, and then try using the SWG.

SWGs are good at maintaining a FC level, but not at all good at shocking the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.