New to pool

May 30, 2016
Manning SC
When I go to pool math... says my goals are not set up... what should my goals be and how do I dryly them... are the goals the same for every pool?

- - - Updated - - -

When I go to pool math... says my goals are not set up... what should my goals be and how do I set them... are the goals the same for every pool?

Please use the links below in my signature. Look at the Recommended Levels and Chlorine/CYA Chart. Then you can load the appropriate goals for your pool into Poolmath. For the bleach, make sure to manually enter the percentage (weight) you have on-hand.

When I go to pool math... says my goals are not set up... what should my goals be and how do I dryly them... are the goals the same for every pool?

Welcome! :wave:

And the answer is no. You need to set realistic goals based on the pool surface, the chlorine source, and the fill water. Here's a tip: at bottom of poolmath table it has a yellow section labelled Suggested Goal Levels In there you choose the specifics. The blue line above that shows FC recommendations. That will self-adjust when you plug in your CYA values.

So... start by selecting the suggested goals. Then if you know how many gallons your pool is, go up to the top and enter that, If you don't know, break out a tape measure and then use the volume calculator down at the bottom of the poolmath page to get it figured.

Okay, so now you've input the material and the chlorine source and TFP and the gallons. In the now column you put your readings. After you've put the CYA value, the blue line will give you suggested FC values. For dosing FC, use the higher target value until you get some practice.

For pH, if your current value is within range, plug that same number into the target. No chemicals needed. Neat, huh?
For TA, if you're below the goal, pick the lower goal number as your target. If above, use the now value.
For CH, that depends on pool surface and you haven't said what it is.
CYA depends on chlorine source, and you haven't said that either.
Leave Borates at zero. Salt? Is yours a salt pool? We don't know. See, this is why we ask for a signature.

If you give us complete information, including test results, we can recommend targets and then check your math later. But we want you to figure out how to do it yourself. Just having someone tell you what to add and blindly adding it is something for the pool stores, not us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.