Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Glass block mortar?

1. Back To Top    #1

Glass block mortar?

Hi all, love this site use it regularly. Wondering if anyone has any experience with glass block spillover, specifically with leaking mortar. The blocks themselves are all in great shape. But, some of the mortar (especially inside the spa) has chipped away. I run the pool about 8 hours in the morning to early afternoon, and when I get up the waterline is down. I can see water dripping out between the top and second row of glass blocks, and into the pol below.

My plan was to drain the spa, ship away the top layer of mortar and any loose pieces, and apply a new coat. Anyone have experience with this? What product should I use? Standard thin set mortar or glass block mortar? Or is there a pool specific product?

Thanks all,
    -Don
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10K gallon built in 2008, in ground gunite, with attached spa, waterfall feature and cool deck.
    Two Hayward 1 HP pump motors, cartridge filter, Aqua Logic PS-4 automation system with saltwater chlorine generator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Glass block mortar?

I sure don't but I guess the heat got to it. Hopefully someone will know. But, that is a very cool feature I don't think I have ever seen. I like it a lot.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Patrick_B. I definitely like it too and want to keep the block. Some people have recommended removing it and form filling concrete in. I don't think that would look as nice especially considering I would be unable to find the matching tile at this point.
    10K gallon built in 2008, in ground gunite, with attached spa, waterfall feature and cool deck.
    Two Hayward 1 HP pump motors, cartridge filter, Aqua Logic PS-4 automation system with saltwater chlorine generator.

4. Back To Top    #4

No way!

Even if you have to re-do I would want that at all reasonable cost. Very cool and unique feature that is.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to use Glass Block mortar for sure. Post on this site and you should get some good advise and product recommendations from the tile pros pretty quickly. Tile Forum/Advice Board - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile
    20K gal In-ground pool with raised Spa overflowing into pool; two Jandy Sheer Descent waterfalls; Pentair IntelliTouch i7+3, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH, 3 SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, RayPak 406A LP spa heater, Polaris 360 PS Cleaner. Patio and deck lighting by Volt; Volt 600W landscaping transformer; Webber grilling station

6. Back To Top    #6

Update on this. I bought some glass block mortar and used it. I drained the hot tub, acid washed it and and the tile, removed the excess mortar with a Dremel tool, then filled it back in with new mortar. Once all dried and cleaned out I rerouted the pool water back to the hot tub and overflow and it no longer leaks and looks like new after the heavy cleaning. Thanks all.