The Good Fight against the Mustard!

Mar 25, 2017
Austin, TX
All,

Thank you so much for all of the great info on this forum. I was introduced by a neighbor and really subscribe to the KISS principle espoused by this group.

I have been using this forum since I bought a house with a pool at the end of February. All was going well until I started getting this weird dust on the bottom and sides of my pool. I had no idea what is was. I assumed pollen. With a bit of googling, I classified it as the deadly and irritating mustard algae. I wasn't even provided a brush with the purchase so I was not aware that you needed one :D. Moving from Chicago (without a pool) to Texas (with a pool) has brought a whirlwind of learning.

I read and followed the posts available in this forum, pool school and used the calc. Shocked the chlorine up to 32 PPM for 24 hours (okay maybe 48 hours). I pulled the lights out and sure enough there were millions of sneaky algae lurking behind each one. Getting them back in was a major PITA.

Here I am a few days after the mustard attack and I seem to be winning the fight.

I just wanted to say thank you and hopefully one day I can do something to help someone else out.

Thank you again!

Ryan

Well Ryan, glad we were able to help in some small fashion. How did you determine it was mustard algae? Was your water green? Was the algae in particularly shady parts of the pool? How's your water looking now?

Have you read PoolSchool yet? That's probably going to be your biggest help....

Maddie :flower:

Well Ryan, glad we were able to help in some small fashion. How did you determine it was mustard algae? Was your water green? Was the algae in particularly shady parts of the pool? How's your water looking now?

Have you read PoolSchool yet? That's probably going to be your biggest help....

Maddie :flower:

I read quite a bit online on this forum and had a combination of dust plumes on the bottom of the pool as well as on the walls and steps. I cleaned off the walls first to determine whether or not the algae would grow up the walls. From my reading pollen stays on the bottom. Sure enough it started to grow up the walls after a little bit of time. I went to the store and bought all of the bleach that I would need to maintain 32 ppm for a few days. I am now down to 14 ppm as of this morning and dropping slowly which I believe is a good sign. I believe I read a few articles in pool school but will definitely read more. This place is fantastic.

I think my next endeavor may be a variable speed pump and new controller as my JANDY controller is from 2003 and I'm sure I am on borrowed time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.