Any recommendations on cleaning out this surface drain?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
We are adding a few additions to our pool slab (please disregard the mess and tree stump lol) and was wondering what you guys thought would be the best way to clean out this surface drain? If I had to guess, it's about 20ft across and about 1.5" wide and 3-4" in depth. The drain holes are too small to really get a hose or pressure washer to be useful. There was a lot of landscaping before (previous homeowners were not so bright) that caused a lot of dirt to get inside and weeds tend to grow often in it now. What would be the easiest way to clean it out?

Not many options without cutting out some section of channel drain to get a hose into it or removing the entire length of channel drain and re-doing it. Weed killer's like Round-Up are post-emergent killers, they need to be absorbed by the leaves to be effective (root absorption is minimal due to soil fixation of the glyphosate). If you spray a pre-emergent weed killer in there, it will kill all of the sprouting seeds before they every get out of the soil.

Not many options without cutting out some section of channel drain to get a hose into it or removing the entire length of channel drain and re-doing it. Weed killer's like Round-Up are post-emergent killers, they need to be absorbed by the leaves to be effective (root absorption is minimal due to soil fixation of the glyphosate). If you spray a pre-emergent weed killer in there, it will kill all of the sprouting seeds before they every get out of the soil.

Both sides are open though, so I was thinking maybe a long piece of rebar.

For a few bucks at Home Depot you could rig up some fittings to your hose that would let you jam a long length of 3/8" poly tubing thru the drain and blast out the debris.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.