Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Temperature sensor in pump line.

1. Back To Top    #1

Temperature sensor in pump line.

Silly question, but why don't people install temperature sensors on the water line going to the pump? (or do they?) That water is coming from the skimmers and main drain and is probably a good representative sample of the temperature.

I ask b/c i've been trying to rig up a system with a floating sensor, but a) it reads too close to the surface, b) it leaks and needs draining, drying, and re-sealing every couple of months, c) it needs batteries.

An electronic temperature probe in a pump line would only have good data while the pump was running, but other than that, can anyone think of downsides? (the pump itself heats the water a little, so you'd probably want the sensor before it.)

As for the mechanical details of what i'm imagining, i'd add a threaded tap to the side of the pipe and construct a modified plug with the sensor to screw into it, making replacement/modification easy.
    ~15kgal IG plaster, hayward cartridge filter, old-ish pool, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Temperature sensor in pump line.

There is really no reason you can't put the sensor before pump, but it could become a source for a air leak later down the road

3. Back To Top    #3

If you found the right kind of adapter, most pumps have two drain plugs - one at the bottom of the basket and one in the volute. You could simply rig your sensor up to a properly sized plug and put it in there.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

ooh.. good idea on the drain plug!

i think i'll cut down a "tee" with a 1/2" FPT stem and PVC weld it onto the side of my pipe (like an ad-hoc one of these: Saddle tees and Clamp-It saddles ), then drill a 3/8" hole through it into the pipe. the pressure is _negative_, so i expect the weld to work well.

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's the threaded bit (sanded to shape by wrapping sandpaper around a piece of 2" PVC):
    Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 8.27.00 PM.jpg

And here it is attached:
    Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 8.27.20 PM.jpg

Tomorrow i'll drill a hole into the pipe. In the meantime, i'm going to see how long a stainless steel machine screw takes to equalize its temperature if one end is in water and the other end is insulated, as that seems like a possible probe design.