Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What can I use to test my home water salt level?

1. Back To Top    #1

What can I use to test my home water salt level?

I use the taylor test kit to test my pool.

I have a water softener and I'm trying to get measure for my house and garden hose. Appearantly the taylor kit min test is 200ppm. One drop changed the color of my water. Any recommendation for lower level testings?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What can I use to test my home water salt level?

If you use 25 milliliters of water that would make each drop 80ppm. Should use 2 drops of the initial reagent.

Or 50ml for 40ppm drops.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    If you use 25 milliliters of water that would make each drop 80ppm. Should use 2 drops of the initial reagent.

Or 50ml for 40ppm drops.
    original test calls for 10ml of water, if I did 50ml of water, how many initial reagent should I use? 5 drops?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

4. Back To Top    #4

did 100ml and got what i needed.
    SF Bay

5. Back To Top    #5

Three points -

1. You can just use 1 drop of the chromate indicator, 2 at most. It's entire purpose is to just detect the end point by turning red, it will do this at any concentration.

2. Your water softener is adding sodium to the water, not chloride. It does this because sodium ions (Na+) are attached to the polymeric resin in the exchange unit. When your source water passes through it, the calcium ions (Ca2+) get preferentially exchanged with sodium (Na+) in a process where two ions of sodium are released for every one ion of calcium captured. Since the Taylor test is only sensitive to chloride ion (Cl-), you should see little difference between the input water and the treated water.

3. The better test to perform is the CH test. Take a sample of raw input water and post-softenener water and see what the difference is.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates