Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to the forum and new to pool ownership

1. Back To Top    #1

New to the forum and new to pool ownership

Hello everyone, I'm having problems with my pool. First of all, I'm new to all of this. Last year I moved into my house and struggled all season to maintain my pool. Spent a lot of money at The pool store and It got worse. I couldn't maintain my free chlorine. This year I'm having the same problem but I stumbled upon your website. I just bought a k-2006 test kit. My numbers were

FC .2
    CC .2
    Ph 7.4
    TA 90
    CH 140
    CYA 100

temperature 54
    25k gal, vinyl IG, 3/4 hp Hayward max flo, sand Hayward pro series, Polaris 9550 robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to the forum and new to pool ownership

Welcome to the forum. That CYa needs to be about 40----------replace water, partial drains and fills. FC gotta come up to match that.Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

I predict great success with your pool this year. You've been reading, you filled out your signature, you bought a test kit, and you posted results! The one thing you omitted: How does the water look?

For sure the CYA is too high and you'll be happier in the long run if you replace some water now. Beyond that, it sorta depends on how the water looks and what test results you have after refilling and mixing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

As mentioned your CYA seems high but it could really be much higher, effecting the FC target. There is a test where you double the water and keep the same quantity of R-0013. Next, double the results you get. You my be surprised how high that CYA really is. Give it a try and post it. (.2 FC is way too low under most conditions)

P.S.
    Lesson #1- Listen to these guys NOT the pool store sales people....Always
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

6. Back To Top    #6

Collin,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners who can't get their chlorine up...

I assume that you have been chlorinating your pool using 3" chlorinated pucks.. Pucks work great at first, but as they release chlorine into your pool, they also release CYA. The chlorine gets used up, but the CYA continues to build up.

Once the CYA gets high enough, you almost can't put enough chlorine in your pool to make it work.

You say you have a CYA of 100, but that is as high as the test can go, so you may have a much higher CYA level.

As woody says, your only option at this point is to drain your pool.

Now is the time to think about how you plan to chlorinate your pool going forward..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

The water looks pretty clear. I'm gonna drain some of the water and fill it back up. Any suggestions on how much to drain

- - - Updated - - -

Yep 3" pucks. I'm done using those and now gonna try the BBB
    25k gal, vinyl IG, 3/4 hp Hayward max flo, sand Hayward pro series, Polaris 9550 robot

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

With a CYA of 100, I would drain 50% of your pool water so your CYA will be at a manageable 50 ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School