New 27' x 54" AGP 1hp or1.5hp pump ? & best filter type to use ?

i just replaced an 10 year old rusted out 27' AGP with a new 27' AGP saltwater ultimate . The pump is directly by pool 4' host to skimmer & 4' host to return, and no solar heater or no other water add ons . would it be better to get a 1hp 2 speed or a 1.5hp 2 speed . its been hard to find accurate amp draws and gpm specs for low and high . im looking at the hayward matrix , but will consider others if its more energy efficient . in the past i have ran my filter 24 hours a day with a single speed 1hp pump and it really runs up my power bill up. current filter is a hayward s180t sand filter , but im also considering changing filters if there is something better

Sorry nobody responded sooner. With a 27' AGP and no other water features a 1hp 2-speed pump is plenty of pump for your pool. The hayward matrix is a popular pump. Primarily you will run on low speed for skimming and water circulation. High speed will mostly be reserved for vacuuming and aggressive skimming of pollen and leaves. For sizing the circuit you have to size it for the nameplate rated full load amps. When running on low speed as a rule of thumb for a 1hp pump it should only use 250 watts or less.

As for the filter 18" is small for a pool your size. There's nothing wrong with sand but you should be running a 20+inch filter. You will backwash less and and have less back pressure which will save further on electric costs.

Since I'm upgrading to a much larger sand filter and going to run the 2 speed pump in low speed most all the time . How much difference will there be if I get the 1.5hp and run it on low ? With power consumption and flow . I'm only asking because if I get a large sand filter with the 1hp 2 speed I will have to buy the separately , but I can buy the 1.5 2 speed with large filter as a combo cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how would a Hayward 150sf cartridge system compare to a large sand filter system ? or do you still reccomend me just get a larger sand filter setup ? im a little concerned about backwashing a sand filter , now that im going to a salt system , that it will kill my grass . i would like it to be fairly low maintenance , cost efficient ,

Sorry nobody got back to you. Its up to you about the cartridge system. You won't have to backwash but they take time to maintain. I would get as big a cartridge as you can get. As for backwashing salt pool water on the lawn I don't know if its that big of a concern but I haven't tried it. Both filters will keep your pool clean and the bigger you go on the filter the less time you will spend cleaning it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The 1hp should be more than enough. How much cheaper is the 1.5 and how much is your electricity are key questions. If you're running 24 hours on 1/2 speed you'll save 4kwh a day.

I'm of the mind that if your filter worked and wasn't broken why get a new one. Backwashing the salt water *shouldn't* hurt most lawns in most climates. However if you're in a servere drought the salt *could* hurt.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.