Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on disabling popups

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on disabling popups

Hello everyone, I have a popup system that has one pipe in the middle surrounded by 6 other pipes that all feed into popup rotation valve thing(I have tried to google the name but coming up empty, please help). It doesn't work cause the gears inside are all busted and the result is that every popup is on at the same time.

There is no shut off valve for pop up system, so I'm wondering if there is any other way to disable it, I was thinking by plugging one of those pipes coming up from the ground might do it? But I have no idea how it works, I assume the water enters from the middle and is diverted to one of the six other pipes for the popups? does that sound right? Well any advice would be great, thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on disabling popups

You're talking about this?

Do you have any other returns in the pool, or only the popups? Because the water has to have somewhere to go when it leaves the filter. Capping the feed pipe won't be possible if that's it. Are you sure there are no valves that you can just turn to switch flow from wall returns to popup? Are things automated? Motorized valves can usually be manually overridden.

Update: some quick googling leads me to believe that a rebuild kit with seals and gears is only $60-80 online.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about it, there are two returns at both ends of the pool, but there's only one pipe leaving the filter and it goes strait into the ground and doesn't come up at any other point besides the popup cluster valve thing. I've looked everywhere for some kind of access panel for a shut off lever but I don't believe it has one.

60 bucks isn't bad, had a guy come out and said it would be 400 to replace, can you point me in the right direction for a rebuild kit?

Edit* I found a model number on the side of it, can't rebuild it I guess cause its a completely enclosed module which goes for 170, still would rather just disable it completely though and clean it with a vacuum.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

A picture of the water distribution valve and of your equipment pad (from a couple different angles) may help us to better advise you.

If you have the infloor water distribution valve and returns, there should be a way to switch between the two. You mentioned you found a model number - what is it? Does the feed pipe - from the filter - come in at the top or bottom?

I do know that on the A&A Manufacturing water valve, you can take the guts out of it and it will flow freely through all ports at once. A rebuild kit for that one is about $100.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

5. Back To Top    #5

I have rebuilt our and my folk's, with great results. The kits are very straight forward.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    A picture of the water distribution valve and of your equipment pad (from a couple different angles) may help us to better advise you.

If you have the infloor water distribution valve and returns, there should be a way to switch between the two. You mentioned you found a model number - what is it? Does the feed pipe - from the filter - come in at the top or bottom?

I do know that on the A&A Manufacturing water valve, you can take the guts out of it and it will flow freely through all ports at once. A rebuild kit for that one is about $100.
    It looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-Mod.../dp/B008NGC79K .. All the pipes come in at the bottom. I tried opening up the module, but its seems impossible to take apart without destroying it.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Paramount doesn't sell rebuild parts anymore you will have to pull out the module and replace with new, the link above was the least expensive I found